Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2003, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

sudden clam death, looking for answers

my 3 inch crocea was doing fine last night when i went to bed. this morning when i checked on everything when the lights came on, the shell was wide open, and the mantle was completely contracted.

upon closer observation, the membrane that runs along the botom of the clam, visible when looking directly into the incurrent siphon, was gone. the membrane usually connects to both sides of the clam shell, and travels down along the bottom, past the gills, and to where the foot extends out. looking at the bottom of the clam, you can get a naughty peek right inside the remains of the animal (never a comfortable feeling).

i am curious as to what could have caused this membrane to either tear, or dissolve (none of it is visible, so it is either very shrunken or it is missing completely).

after checking through the knop book, i was unable to find any description of what might have caused this sudden destruction of the clam.

anyone have any suggestions, and should i be concerned for my other crocea in the same tank? the clam did not demonstrate any gaping of any sort, which i would think might have caused a tear, and the clams have been in the tank for about a month, and no predators have been visible at all in that time frame (no snails etc.)

here is the clam a couple days ago.

Last edited by kruxy; 10/02/2003 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10/02/2003, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

and here is the clam this morning. it was living on the sand bed, but after inspection, i placed it on the rock work.
Old 10/02/2003, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

man that was a great looking clam. i wish i could tell you what was wrong. i have had clams die for what seemed to be no reason but most of the time i can find the problem. if you have already checked for snails and you have good lighting, the only other thing would be to check the calcium and the temp. there are more causes for clam death but sometimes they are hard to find. good luck with the other ones.
Old 10/03/2003, 12:46 AM
Premium Member

I agree about the snails. I had a similar melt down with mine, that started with a sheding of its byssal thread. I think the clam fell over, and was a victim of predation by worms, possibly fish, hermits...who knows, but thats the impression I get when the my clam looked like that. Do you have any other potential prdators in your tank?? Be on the look out.
Old 10/05/2003, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Hey guy:

Sorry for your loss! Where did you get it? I got one from a LFS about four months ago that died overnight. I did get them to take it back because I had concerns when I purchased it. In fact my track record with the LFS is pretty bad right now. I think I am going with online vendors or WAVES only anymore.

I lost all 5 of my clams a few years ago when there was that strange clam disease. I do not know if we ever know what happens with them. I did find what I think was a snail once. But who knows. I have heard it said that they can look great but be slowly dying inside?????

My current maxima had a rough start from shipping stress but it is doing great! I also got the most beautiful dersa from Barry at clamsdirect.

If I get my lighitn figured out, I will most likly order another 1 or 2 from Barry this winter/fall.

Good luck!
Connie
Old 10/07/2003, 09:32 PM
Moved On

i might be way off but to me, and i say this respectfuly, the clam doesnt look healthy in the first pic at all to me. mantel extention is not what it should be IMO and in the second pic there is no growth line that i can see so this clam wasnt getting proper nutrition or elemental supplimentation IMO.

in the second pic there is even an algae ring on the inside of the shell, which is an indication that the mantel has been retracted for some time.

hth
kc