Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/02/2003, 03:47 PM
Confounding Innocents

My brand new red shrooms

These are the first corals in my tank. I just got home from the LFS with them, and the white guts are out of some of them. Will they go back in? Should I be worried?

Also, the guy gave me a neat red and green polyp in the bag. He pulled it off of a rock. It's a little curled up tube now. He said to put it on the substrate for now. I'd like to move it up onto the rock later. What do I do with this thing? What do I glue it there with?

Thanks
Old 08/02/2003, 04:34 PM
Moved On

Assuming you've got good water quality then everything will be fine. Put the mushrooms in an area that doesn't have turbid flow but still gets a nice gentle current over them. The polyp will probably open up in the next few minutes. put it on the sand and leave it alone. After a few days you can stick it in a rock that has a nice hole in it. Or you would put a few pieces of rubble rock, if you have any, under the polyp and it will attach to it, then you could place that rock anywhere you wanted, basically.
Old 08/02/2003, 04:43 PM
Confounding Innocents

the shrooms are opening, and the guts are going back in.

The polyp is still in the tube. A hermit crab tried to drag it off, so I put it in a glass cup on the floor of the tank. I hope it opens soon. How can I tell if it's dead? Maybe it got stung in the bag, since the guts were out of the mushrooms. Will it be ok if that happened? Is there anything I can do for it?