Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/17/2003, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

adding base rock to established tank?

Can base rock be added to an established tank? We are going to be setting up a 20 gallon tank and I'd like to order base rock (cheaper). Or plan would be to mix base rock and live rock from our 100 gallon in the 20 gallon and replace the live rock from the 100 w/ base rock...

Common sense makes me think it should be fine, but ya never know... would our plan be okay?

Thanks
Old 07/17/2003, 03:25 AM
Registered Member

I don't see anything wrong with your plan. Of course you'll want to seed the base rock by placing it UNDER your established live rock. HTH.
Old 07/17/2003, 04:49 AM
Premium Member

I think you'll just be asking for trouble. Coraline algae takes a while to get a good foot hold and before that happens you'll have a lot of green and hair algae growing on the virgin surface.

It might work if you place it under the established rock out of the light.

Sean
Old 07/17/2003, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Thanks... I hadn't thought about placement, but it makes sense. When we set up the 100 gallon we used base rock and live rock. The base rock ended up under the the liverock, but only because it was the best placement for what we wanted... The tank cycled w/ the rock mixed in it. We went thru the diatom, then red/green mess that is expected for a new tank.

Sean, do you think that the base rock added to our algea in the beginning and would in our new tank -or- putting base rock in an established tank would encourage algea growth?

When we did the 1st tank, I didn't like the look of the WHITE base rock. Now, I know that in a few months it will be covered in purple and color too. But, I don't want to compromise our 100 gallon. We could just BUY more live rock... to throw in w/ the base rock in the new tank.
Old 07/17/2003, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.

Ha ha ha ha Damm thats funny
Old 07/17/2003, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

I’m going through this phase myself. I bought about 40lbs of base rock and then 40lbs of live rock. I placed the base rock right on the bottom and then filled in with sand, live sand and crushed coral to 3� (I know it’s not enough, but 4� looks way to deep). The base rock was exposed about 4� from the sand and the live rock was place on top.

Now the base rock has tons of green algae growing on it. Both short and hair. I bought a lawn mower blenny and he’s doing a great of keeping it under control. No coralline algae yet and it’s been 3 months. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong ‘cuz even when I had my other tank, that was 8 months old before I had to tear it down and there wasn’t a spec of coralline anywhere.

Sean

Quote:
Originally posted by Randa

Sean, do you think that the base rock added to our algea in the beginning and would in our new tank -or- putting base rock in an established tank would encourage algea growth?
Old 07/17/2003, 08:47 PM
Soul of a Sailor

My tank is 7 months old and still doesn't have any coralline on any of the base rock. It does have lots of pretty green and hair algae with a touch of cyano . Seriously though I know how expensive all that LR is so if i had to do it all over again I would just put the base rock under the LR.
Old 07/17/2003, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hd_nagel
I’m going through this phase myself. I bought about 40lbs of base rock and then 40lbs of live rock. I placed the base rock right on the bottom and then filled in with sand, live sand and crushed coral to 3� (I know it’s not enough, but 4� looks way to deep). The base rock was exposed about 4� from the sand and the live rock was place on top.

Now the base rock has tons of green algae growing on it. Both short and hair. I bought a lawn mower blenny and he’s doing a great of keeping it under control. No coralline algae yet and it’s been 3 months. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong ‘cuz even when I had my other tank, that was 8 months old before I had to tear it down and there wasn’t a spec of coralline anywhere.

Sean
I'm going to guess your slow growth or lack of coralline is due to your FW. Are you using RO water? Also, what kind of salt are you using? Some lower brand salts do not provide the normal sea-water calcium, alk and magnesium needed for initial coralline growth. Remember that calcium and alk need to be suplemented once your coralline grows. HTH.
Old 07/17/2003, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

I use RO water and IO salt.

Should I change one or the other?

Sean
Old 07/17/2003, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hd_nagel
I use RO water and IO salt.

Should I change one or the other?

Sean
Hmmm...sounds good so far. My next tip would be to test your calcium and alk. What kind of lights do you have?
Old 07/17/2003, 11:13 PM
Premium Member

we noticed the a big difference in corraline growth and the appearance of our rocks after we started using C-Balance. The only place we don't have corraline growth yet is the back glass. I think it's cuz we had all the light too far toward the front... we've moved light around so we'll see...
Old 07/18/2003, 05:16 AM
Premium Member

I have (2) 48" atinics and (3) 175 watts. I also use Kents Kalkwasser in my make up water. Last week when I checked, my cal. was 360 - 380. I'm trying to get it up where it should be but my pH is already at 8.5

Sean
Old 07/18/2003, 05:39 AM
Registered Member

Sean,

Have you considered adding a refugium to your sump with some macro? That would seriously slow your hair growth. Also get some polyfilters and throw it in some type of small filter. That would help in removing the extra nutrients you have that is causing your algae growth.

One thing about coralline, it only starts to really take-off when you get the Ca above 400. And hair will outgrow it if conditions are favorable for the hair.

Mark