Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Alabama Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/29/2003, 05:35 AM
ThingThatShouldNotBe

Anyone Else Feel The Quake?

Just wondered if anyone else besides me was awake at 3:55a.m. and felt the 4.5 quake that hit.

I was online and all of a sudden the whole house started shaking for about 10-15 seconds. Got to admit it was a bit freaky till I found out what it was.
Old 04/29/2003, 05:39 AM
Registered Member

where in alabama are you? im in the s.e. corner of arkansas, only one state between us.

www.creativereefing.com

www.bjpembo.com
Old 04/29/2003, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

It woke me up! I didn't know what had happened. We are very close to many deep underground coal mines...I thought one of them had collapsed or something. A 4.9 on the scale...looks like it was felt in 11 states. Here is a great link:

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/cu...m_display.html
Old 04/29/2003, 04:28 PM
ThingThatShouldNotBe

Quote:
where in alabama are you?
Maplesville about 55 miles south of Bham.

Jonathan cool link, I stand corrected I also just found out it was a 4.9 before I read your post. Hope it wasnt a small one leading to a big one
Old 04/29/2003, 04:56 PM
Premium Supreme Member

Y'all got a taste of California! Everytime a tremor rolls through, I run downstairs to check on my tank.

Jim
Old 04/29/2003, 05:12 PM
ThingThatShouldNotBe

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo327

Y'all got a taste of California! Everytime a tremor rolls through, I run downstairs to check on my tank.

Jim

Well being in a spot where this is not common, a 4.9 quake is a lil freaky, I mean Tornados I expect but not an earthquake. Speaking of which I have a video of the Tornado that came through last week( more funnel cloud though it was no longer touching the ground when it got to our house, still a sight to see ), still need to put it on vhs though.
Old 04/29/2003, 05:15 PM
ThingThatShouldNotBe

Quote:
I run downstairs to check on my tank

Funny you should mention that, when I checked my tank it had knocked over a Monti. digitata. Time to get the ole gel out to fix it