Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/22/2003, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

5 gallon nano - Cleaner and Peppermint?

Hello All

As my 5 gallon AGA acrylic Minibow tank is cycling (one more week left I figure) I am contemplating the inhabitants of this tank. As I am not sure yet about keeping a small goby (neon or green clown) in the tank for a while, I am considering keeping two small shrimp (one peppermint and one cleaner) instead.

The question is, has anyone kept these two species together in small quarters such as this? I had two peppermint and one cleaner in a 35 gallon, and no one bothered each other.....its just an idea and I would like to hear your comments.

Other tankmates would include 1 trochus snail, 1 scarlet hermit and 1 or 2 blue legged - all small specimens. Also some mushrooms and zooanthids. Its a office tank, so nothing fancy here!

I really would like to just have one cleaner, but I have a few small aiptasia that I know will get out of hand if I dont get a peppermint in there soon.

Keep in mind with this scenario as well as the fish option - I have other tanks so as soon as they get too large for the 5 gallon I will transport them to a new home.

All comments are appreciated!

Thanks!
Karin
Old 01/22/2003, 08:47 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I would go with a cleaner. I have never heard of a cleaner causing a problem. You never know with peppermints. You can get a good one that is a saint or a little devil. I have watched one of my peppermints tear apart a open brain coral in my main tank and this was a peppermint, not a mistaken camel back or other similar shrimp.