Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2003, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Completed DIY stand/canopy for 40g breeder(PICS)!

Well, I've finally finished my first DIY project seen through to completion. I started a 120g stand last year, but that project got put on hold, for a variety of reasons. I decided to set up a 40g Breeder as a real simple low tech clown/bta species tank. Here are some pics of the stand and canopy I made. If you have any questions, please ask!

Old 01/04/2003, 05:58 PM
RC Mod

Looks great dude! You are showing some real woodworking skills there! cant wait to see it filled with water
Old 01/05/2003, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

have any pics of how the stand was built? I am looking for some plans/ideas for my 77g tank I want to get rid of the one that come with my tank.
Old 01/05/2003, 02:05 AM
Premium Member

DiscusZ,

Wish I could take credit for the structural design, but it's been around the net for a while. David Grigor has used it alot, as have some others here. Basically the stand is formed by 4 picture 2x4 frames glued and screwed together, then these 4 frames are glued and screwed together.

After that, I glued and screwed 1/2" Oak plywood to the frames, and the rest is trim work.

Here's a few pics:

Does that make sense?

-Duane
Old 01/05/2003, 03:31 AM
Moved

Looks great TB - Hope to see the pics of it as it matures
Have any pics of how the hood opens?
Old 01/05/2003, 12:43 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

How did you cut the notch in the 2x4s?

I think the tougher cut is the lengthwise rip in the middle.

I hava a table saw and a skill saw. Did you use a band saw or something?
Old 01/05/2003, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pantinor
How did you cut the notch in the 2x4s?

I think the tougher cut is the lengthwise rip in the middle.

I hava a table saw and a skill saw. Did you use a band saw or something?
Actually I used my table saw and homemade tenoning jig which held the 2x4's vertical for the cheek cuts. It still left me about 1/8" too short, so I had to chisel that out. The way I made the jig wasn't a very safe way to do it, and I wouldn't do it that way again. I'd go ahead and spring for a good manufactured one. A band saw would be a perfect way to do this, but I don't have one either.
Old 01/05/2003, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Techno, what color stain did you use to finish your stand? It looks like it might be walnut. I really like that dark color without the deep red of a cherry finish.

Also how do you like those bar clamps. Have been thinking about getting a set like that from Rockler.
Old 01/05/2003, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Should be able to use a special blade that will notch that out perfectly.. I think its a dado (sp) blade if I am not mistaken.,..
Old 01/05/2003, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowBoat
Techno, what color stain did you use to finish your stand? It looks like it might be walnut. I really like that dark color without the deep red of a cherry finish.

Also how do you like those bar clamps. Have been thinking about getting a set like that from Rockler.
Slowboat,

The stain is Minwax oil based Red Oak. There are two coats of this on there. Then I used 4 coats of Minwax Helmsman Spar Clear High Gloss Varnish to finish it, sanding with 220 grit in between each coat(except the final one). Having never done this before, I was somewhat skeptical of the need for these multiple applications of varnish. Honestly, I thought about doing more. The finish got better and better with each coat.

I love the clamps. Clamps rule. I got those at Sears when they had some ridiculous sale...I think I paid like $12 a piece. Those are normally $40 clamps. I was fortunate enough to be able to buy quite a few... I buy most of my clamps at Harbor Freight now... But, you can never have enough clamps. I couldn't have done this project with out them.

Duane
Old 01/05/2003, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

DiscusZ,

Yes a stacked dado head would work great. I have a stacked Dado head that I got from Harbor Freight for 19.99 and it works fine. I didn't use it in those 2x4 cuts though, cuz I didn't have it then. If I had to do those cuts again, I definitely would use the dado cutter.
Old 01/05/2003, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Uh oh, I think I just got the latest Harbor Frieght catalog in the mail yesterday. Gonna have to see what those clamps are priced as.

For my stand/canopy I ended up with 5 coats of McClosky marine spar varnish to get a perfectly smooth finish. I think it is because of the oak grain, so porus and keeps sucking up the finish.

I will have to keep the red oak minwax in mind for my next woodworking project that is on my "Honey" do list.
Old 01/06/2003, 07:26 AM
Premium Member

Slowboat,

Those clamps in the picture are the real Bessey K body's, very nice... I don't think HF sells those. They do sell a couple of knock offs which work well. Last week I picked up 4 36" aluminum bar clamps for $4 ea. They really work pretty well. I just always pick up a couple when I see them on sale. As you know, you'll need em sooner or later.
Old 01/06/2003, 05:14 PM
10 & Over Club

Great looking project there, TB!

I had an old friend that was an excellent woodworker, that used to always say if given a choice between anything and another clamp, take the clamp.

Take it easy,