Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Dallas/Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society (DFWMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2002, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

scraps

Anyone out there hace any 1/4" acrylic? I'm about to build my sump (20L aquarium). Home Depot and Lowes don't sell anything smaller than 2' x 4' sheets. All I need is enough to make (3) baffles. Any help would be great...or even advise on somewhere that sell smaller pieces.
Charley
Old 12/20/2002, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Hey, Home Depot and Lowe's both sell scraps as well. Lots of people have them cut material to size, and then don't use the rest. I always check to see what extra pieces they have available, and probably 50% of the time, there are several .25" thick pieces to choose from. Generally, they sell them about 50% of what regular size pieces cost, and you can usually bargain with them. If you don't have any luck there, then let me know, and I will try to locate some pieces that I have in my garage.
Old 12/20/2002, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

I went to Lowe's and Home Depot both and neither one of them would sell me scraps. Trust me..I asked, because they had what looked like some perfect size scraps. They gave me some inventory crap as to why they would not sell it. Maybe I should check some different locations. Thanks for the response though.
Charley
Old 12/21/2002, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Well, If you can't find any, and you're willing to drive up to Carrollton, I'll give you a few pieces of mine. I probably have three or four pieces that are well over a 1 square foot each. The only thing I would ask in return would be a frag sometime later on(I'm getting a new tank, and plan to populate sometime in May).

Let me know. I'm out of town until Wed. night.
Old 12/21/2002, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the offer. I 'm going to check around at a couple other HDs and Lowes. If I can't find anything I'll take you up on the offer. I work in Richardson so I drive that way every day.
Thanks Again,
Charley
Old 12/23/2002, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Ok, sounds good. I'm still surprised that they wouldn't sell them to you. I've never had that problem, and I almost always check for good scraps. In fact, I usually even try to bargain with them on price, and 3 out of 4 times, they're flexible.

Anywho...just let me know by PM or email when/if you need them.

Bill
Old 01/06/2003, 01:17 AM
TRC Leader

Charley, you need to go to Regal Plastics on Loop 820 on the east side of town. You can buy scrap acrylic from their bin. .75 a lb, 10 lb minimum. So you'll pay at least 7.50 for what you need.

I was just there a couple of days ago, and you'd be amazed at all the different styles you'll find in there.
Old 01/10/2003, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input about the plastic store. I think I found a LFS employee who has some xtra...we'll see if it actually pans out. If not I will be giving theat place a call/visit.