Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 09:19 AM
Kiss my Wrasse

Acrylic Rock stands

Hey everyone,
I know that someone local has used the under sand acrylic rock stands.
Basically we are converting a 10g FW tank into a Nano with sand and I wanted to try to keep the rock structures so that the rock is not buried in the sand, instead resting on the acrylic rods at the height of, or just above the sand line.

I am going to build one of those rock stands where you have a piece of acrylic on the bottom of the tank, then drill holes in it and put 2 inch long acrylic dowels in the holes.

I can figure all this out by trial and error, but if someone had already gone through this, or works with acrylic alot, maybe they have some opinions.

What is the minimum thickness that I could use for the bottom sheet of acrylic? I was thinking a 1/4 - 3/8's would work ok.

What is a good acrylic "glue" that I could use that is "reef safe"?

Is there a special technique or drill bit that I should use on the acrylic sheet so I do not ? I would hate to crack the sheets.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 01/07/2008, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

I don't think you need to drill anything. What I saw before was they just bonded the acrylic rods to the sheet. Lay it in first and add the sand on top. Being covered by sand, 1/4" should be way more then enough, esp. for the smaller rocks that would go in a 10gal.

The 'glue' is called Weld-On. There are a couple different numbers of Weld-On. I'm not sure which one to use though.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:15 AM
Kiss my Wrasse

Thanks AquaKnight, I thought they had drilled them, but I guess i was wrong. If that is the case then I will probably get as thin of a sheet as possible. They had like 1/8" at Lowes...
Old 01/07/2008, 02:44 PM
What next???

Husky you were right they were drilled...Not glued!
Abengochea was the one that used that type of acrylic rock stand for his aquascape. The reason they are not glued on is that when you put your rocks on the dowels...you are not going to be using every single one. So to make it even less visible, you remove the dowels that are not being used to support the LR.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:06 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Ok, so they were drilled but not glued...That is a great idea. Do you happen to remember the thickness of the base sheet?
Old 01/07/2008, 03:18 PM
What next???

No but I could find out later...like around 6pm.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:31 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Thanks, can you also ask what drill bit or technique was used if you happen to remember.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 01/07/2008, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

I made one for my 150. I drilled and glued. There is only one that now shows. If I remember correctly I used 3/8" thick for the base and 1/2" rods. You could go smaller for the weight you will be supporting. They do sell plastic drill bits but regular ones work as well. I just grabbed one from the toolbox and went to work.

However, there is an easier, simpler and cheaper way. On my 65 I just took some PVC and cut pieces of the desired height. I used these to support the main rocks in the tank before I added the sand. Dumped the sand in and was done.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:58 AM
Kiss my Wrasse

Coral Fragger,

Thanks for the information. I have some 1/4 and 3/8 rods, I will probaby use the 3/8's. I also thought of the PVC idea but like the acrylic method the best. If the piece of 3/8 acrylic is more than $15, then I may try the glue on top method and buy a $2 piece from Lowes. If that does not work then the pvc rock stands it will be.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

What is the reason for doing this with the rock? Is it so that there are no "dead" areas under the rock?
Old 01/08/2008, 11:35 AM
What next???

I have seen it done for 2 reason, one is there's no dead spots under the rocks, and the other is to avoid an aquascape cave in.
For exapmple Rogger had a 75g tank with awesome aquascaping, but when he added an engineer blenny that loves to dig and reshift sand around, his aquascape came tumbling down, messing up many corals.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:40 AM
Kiss my Wrasse

I figured I would do this for a combination of both reasons...

Dale
Old 01/08/2008, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

What if you place the rock firmly on the bottom of the tank? Can the gobies still mess it up?? I did this when I set it up just in case I get such a goby. I am wondering because I want to redo the rock in the tank, but the acrylic thing seems like a lot of work to me.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:09 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Personally, I do not want the rock sitting under the sand, I would like it resting above.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:17 PM
What next???

Well many people do not like the rock resting directly on the bottom glass.They like the cushion (sp?) that the sand puts between the rocks and glass....

Mel

Last edited by REDDAWG43; 01/08/2008 at 02:30 PM.