Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Coast of CA Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

This storm is killing me!

We have always lost power on base easily, but this is out of hand. We've had everything from random power surges, to half our house being powered, the other not, to complete blackout! It's reaking havoc on my tank, changing the temperature rapidly, messing up my pumps, lights going on and off. What a pain! I can't wait till this storm passes. Anybody else having bad luck?
Old 01/04/2008, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

We have been good in town surprisingly. The wind is ripping!!
Old 01/04/2008, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Sorry to hear your having a rough time SurfnFish. Wind is ripping here with a steady rain, no problems with the power. I wish you best of luck.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

It's got to be the old power lines and stuff on base. If we went to underground powerlines we wouldn't have any problems with power outages. But you know how the military is, they won't pay up to upgrade.

Tim- give me a call if the power goes out again. Thanks again for looking after my house. Hopefully you won't have to go over at all though.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

No worries. We made it through the night, and today is looking better. I don't mind stopping by Mike. Probably the only thing that will get me out of the house today. That, and maybe a trip to SB for some NSW.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

SurfnFish you might want to hold off in getting water at UCSB today. I know it is filtered extremely well but after a storm with rough seas stirs up quiet a bit of crud, stuff you might not want in your tank. JMHO
Old 01/05/2008, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

yeah we got hit with blackouts yesterday in Guadalupe. Once in the morning for 3hrs, and another 3hr stretch at night. It sucked but its all good now.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Damn! I wish I would have read that before I left!!! I just picked up 60 gallons. I'm gonna have to test really well now.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

The storm is hard on me too. I was in Az yesterday enjoying the last few days of my vacation and my boss called to tell me that he needed me to return to Calif in order to measure high water in streams/rivers. I have been in SB/Ventura all day today measuring high flows at Ventura River and Calluguas Creek; still in a motel tonite. Tomorrow I may measure San Jose Cr., Maria Ygnacia Cr. Atscadero Cr. Mission Cr and Carpenteria Cr and then return to Santa Maria.