Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Question 3 Questions FOWLR?

ok heres the list of what i would like to eventually have in a FOWLR tank,

Humu Picasso Triggerfish
Harlequin Tusk
Volitan Lion
Zebra Moray Eel
Lemon Peel Angel

1. what do you think about the compatability?
2. what size tank do you think I will need?
3. What kind of clean-up crew can i get?
Old 01/04/2008, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Ditch the trigger with the eel and Lion...and state tank size.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

read his post it asks what tank size would be good ^^ Welcome to RC ! triggers do not do well with lions as they are notorius fin nippers other than that i do not really see a problem with the others i dont know really how big those angels get someone will correct me if i make a mistake but i think a 180 gal would be nice bigger is always better in salt you also have room for more fish if you find some others you like. LARGE hermits might survive but zebra moray can easily kill one but if you make sure its fed than you should be fine.. Good luck

Ranzan
Old 01/04/2008, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

well, i have a 75g FOWLR right now, and i am planning on upgrading to a 220. i also like hippo tangs and a few others. i've had a reef for about a year now, the volitan lion is in that and he is VERY small right now.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

here are the min requirement tank size from Dr. Foster and Smith:

Humu Picasso Triggerfish (70g)
Harlequin Tusk (50g)
Volitan Lion (50g)
Zebra Moray Eel (125g)
Lemon Peel Angel (30g)
Old 01/04/2008, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

if you ditch the trigger (nip the lions fins) you can prob get away with a 90 gallon
Old 01/04/2008, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

ah shoot! the humahuma is one of my favorite fishes of all time! oh well, im young yet and maybe 10yrs down the road my wife will let me have 1 reef and 2 FOWLR. lol
Old 01/04/2008, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emperior911
if you ditch the trigger (nip the lions fins) you can prob get away with a 90 gallon
do triggers really nip on lion's fins that much? this is the 2nd time i've heard it.

i wanted a niger and a picasso with a lion in a 120g is that fine?
Old 01/04/2008, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Most people will recommend to never mix triggers and lions. The majority of the time the triggers will chew down the fins of the lionfish until they die from injury/stress.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkie
Most people will recommend to never mix triggers and lions. The majority of the time the triggers will chew down the fins of the lionfish until they die from injury/stress.
ahhh two of my favorite fish... dang it now i'd have to rethink my stocking plan
Old 01/04/2008, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

would you have better luck with a "reef safe" trigger i wonder?
Old 01/04/2008, 08:15 PM
Team RC Member

the tank sizes from F&S are too small for adult fish, typical with sellers. A 50 is too small for a full grown volitan lionfish and harlequin tuskfish. I wouldn't keep a huma huma in a 70 either.

you have a nice list. I'd go minimum, 125 gallons, better yet 180.

I'd suggest this:

Australian Harlequin tuskfish - these are the best!

a medium sized lion, like an antennata (8-9 inches) or fuzzy dwarf (7 inches) - start with a smallish one so it doesn't eat your dwarf angel(s)

mellower trigger - blue throat, sargassum, Hawaiian pinktail or Indian (Nigers are nice, but they can get quite large - 180 for this)

Zebra moray - I've had mine 6 or 7 years, and it's never bothered a fish

Lemonpeel (you could fit another dwarf angel - personally I think coral beauty and flame would be a good combination in your tank.

If you want to use the 75 for a long time (more than a couple years) you need to revise your list and stock fewer, smaller fish.
Old 01/04/2008, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

just so everything is clear i already have the following fish:

Volitan Lion
Zebra Moray
Lemon Peel Angel

in my FOWLR right now. this is just looking to the future what i might want to add once i get a larger tank.
Old 01/04/2008, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

and yes i do like the Australian Harlequin tuskfish also! and at the already high price tag i might as well throw in the extra $ and get that awesome blue color
Old 01/05/2008, 01:42 AM
Team RC Member

If you upgrade your 75 gallon tank to a 125 or 180, I think you could add the HT and a "mellow" trigger like a Sargassum or blue throat. The volitan will eventually get big for the tank (75 or 125), and may end up being a threat to the dwarf angel, but you could see how it goes.

Right now, you are pretty full with the 75. I wouldn't add anything else.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Because of the high bioload of your fish list I would go with the 180 or 220. The equiptment for the larger size tank is not much more that for a 125 but you will not need to upgrade at a later date which is really expensive. I just got my custom made tank from Deep Sea Aquatics in Dallas 5 months ago. Got it 26 inches deep instead of the 24 inches of the 180 or 29 inches of the 220. I wanted as deep as I could get and still touch bottom. Being an average sized woman I can only touch bottom in the 26 inches deep so that is what I ordered. They did not charge me any more to do the extra 2 inches deep over the 180. I guess my tank is about 194 gallons. I would not go any less that the 6 foot by 2 foot tank as I thought mine was big at first but it now is looking smaller by the day. Don't think I will ever upgrade to a larger tank though as I already had to but in a new circuit for this one, and I had a plummer put a faucet in the garage for my RODI unit. Lesley