Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Pod EXPLOSION!!!! Here is the killer!!

Well I had an explosion since adding 5 lbs of lr rubble in the rear chamber of my ap24. They are sooo bad that they are out when the halide is on.

I also remember reading about a type of pod that has supposidly been eating zoa's. well I saw it with my own eyes!! And it figures they would pick my blues!!! So I went and got something to take care of them!!

Say hello to my little friend!!!

Best friends already only 45 min in the tank!!

Old 01/02/2008, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Ohh and the pics are with my camera flash on and no tank lights.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

cool looking fish! i had the same problem in the past. i caught some pods munching on my zoas. ended up getting a six-line and got the problem under control. hope your new friend put those pods in check. hehe
Old 01/02/2008, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Well its a Red coris wrasse so hopefully he will do what the guy at the lfs says!
Old 01/02/2008, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

sorry for the n00b question but whats a POD?
Old 01/02/2008, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

I've heard of some observations of pods eating corals, however most are vegetarians and the others most likely they don't eat live, healthy coral. I would guess that they either, are not actually pods, or are pods and the coral is already dying. It could be that you have some type of zoa eating nudibranch or snail or starfish etc... and the pods are just finishing the job ( BTW, luckily the wrasse may very well eat these other pests as well.). After all, this is why bristleworms got a bad wrap for a long time, but we don't rally know with pods. So, I'm interested in a description, because this topic hasn't been studied well.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:54 PM
w3rd

Quote:
Originally posted by friedkalamari
sorry for the n00b question but whats a POD?
short for copepods or amphipods. theyre little tiny white crustaceans that look like fleas. youll see them on your glass, running across the sandbed or coming in and out of your live rock
Old 01/02/2008, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Awww your clown has a new friend! My flasher wrasse likes eatin the pods. I see him pokin the glass a lot. Hes a hungry boy! haha

Heres my filamented flasher (amazing when he flashes!)
Photobucket
Old 01/02/2008, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Nice looking wrasse! I would be interested in seeing his juvenille colors changing into adult colors. Please keep us posted with photos as it changes.
Royal gramma
yellow tailed damsel
2 dusters
CB shrimp
14G
percular clown
watchman goby
firefish
pepp. shrimp
red banded goby
Assorted corals
Old 01/02/2008, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfisher62
Nice looking wrasse! I would be interested in seeing his juvenille colors changing into adult colors. Please keep us posted with photos as it changes.
Will do! He's so rad. He know when im going to feed him and ge starts puttin up the fins and flashes while swimmin super fast! The pic you see above is when he stopped flashing. He turns a nice rich blue-ish purple. AMAZING to see!

I'll def post some pics when he's a lil older.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

maybe you can get a video of that I would love to see it!
Royal gramma
yellow tailed damsel
2 dusters
CB shrimp
14G
percular clown
watchman goby
firefish
pepp. shrimp
red banded goby
Assorted corals
Old 01/02/2008, 07:37 PM
Nano Reefer

Beautiful wrasse!

Do you have a bigger home planned for him when he outgrows this one?
Old 01/02/2008, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by InLimbo87
Beautiful wrasse!

Do you have a bigger home planned for him when he outgrows this one?
I was thinking the same thing, those fish get really big. Did the person at the lfs realize you had a 24g tank? Personally I would try and get something that would fit your tank. This is always an issue in the Fish only and aggressive forum, but you really should know what your getting before you get it. Maybe you did, not trying to flame you but I think there are better fish you could have pick to get rid of your pod problem.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

yes Im aware of how big he gets. I am planning to set up a 120+ at tax time and everything in this tank will be transfered over. The lfs guy said that it will take him about 5-6 years before he gets fully mature. Not sure if thats true or not but ill see. Only have about a month and a half before the big tank comes.

This guy is swimming all around my rockwork like a f15 looking for bin laden!! Its great. If he sees anything crawling on my rocks he dive bombs and comes up chewing!! lol
I LOVE IT!!
Old 01/02/2008, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

I have no idea on growth rate, but Im glad you purchased this fish knowing what its requirments were. I hope the tranfer goes well. It must be pretty sweet to see it attacking the pods like that.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Yea Its great. The only problem is when the lights went out he went into the reef and wast out eating. The pods looked like someone disturbed a ant hill!! There are soooo many in my tank the zoa's actually move from side to side when the pods are crawling between them.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfisher62
maybe you can get a video of that I would love to see it!
Im gonna be doin some stuff to my tank today like and when I do my wrasse likes to flash around so Im gonna try and get some video for you. I need to take out these green striped palys that my bro in law gave me. They are too big and I want other stuff. Plus I can trade them in for some other goodies.

I need some filter floss cuz my pump was clogged and maybe some LRR in the second chamber... durrrrr
Old 01/03/2008, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TKByrnes
Yea Its great. The only problem is when the lights went out he went into the reef and wast out eating. The pods looked like someone disturbed a ant hill!! There are soooo many in my tank the zoa's actually move from side to side when the pods are crawling between them.
Again, I'm curious what they look like. Do you happen to have a picture?

Thanks in advance for any info you might provide.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

A mandrin or a 6line wrasse might eat pods more so than your coris. Might be worth a shot neither are very expensive.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

the coris is eating them he just goes to sleep at night and he isnt out eating. He divebombs the reef eating all day.

M2434 Ill try to get some pics later. It will be after 11 when my lights go off.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:05 PM
Nano Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by johno4
A mandrin or a 6line wrasse might eat pods more so than your coris. Might be worth a shot neither are very expensive.
A mandarin wouldn't be a good idea in his tank. It'll wipe out the pod population quickly and then most likely have nothing to feed on until it starves to death.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

well louie as my fiance named my coris is flipping my frags over and eating the pods that thought they were safe!!! Its kinda funny but getting on my nerves at the same time. I guess its time to get the epoxy out.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

My Rainfords goby thinned down my pod population pretty well. It looked like a snowstorm in there at times before I got him. After the first month he was in there I've had to look hard at night with a flashlight to find any. And he stays nano sized, so no problem with knocking over frags or finding a new home later.

Phil
Old 01/03/2008, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

someone else decided to pose for the camera!!

Old 01/05/2008, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Well the pods are thinning out so I guess he is doing the job. Its great that he eats prepared food also so he wont starve.