Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

Common behavioral differences between female and male species?

I am wondering, if I had a choice in a sex of a particular species, would I expect a difference in behavior? Is one more reclusive than another, one sex more aggressive?

Thanks
Old 01/02/2008, 01:48 AM
Registered Member

I doubt it. Some people claim for example that female peacocks are more active than males or vice versa, but I don't believe that it makes it enough of a difference to make it a deal breaker in any way. You will likely find that it depends on the mantises personality and not just the sex.

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 01/02/2008, 03:06 AM
Registered Member

From what I've been led to believe, and backed up by my own experiences, male peacocks are more active outside of their burrows, and females are more "homebodies". My female rarely leaves her burrow. Presumably, males roam around looking for females.

If I ever get another peacock, I'm trying a male.

Dan
Old 01/02/2008, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

This is a topic that I haven't written much about, but as usual, the answer depends on the age and species under consideration. Obviously, there are are major differences in behavior in sexually dimorphic species such as Lysiosquillina maculata. There are also differences in species such as Hemisquilla californiensis where the males are more aggressive and are more active during the breeding season. Also, in Pseudosquilla ciliata, females tend to be a bit more active and aggressive. For most gonodactylids, there isn't much difference except for behavior associated with searching for a mate.

The most aggressive O. scyllarus I have ever seen is a female that I have in the lab right now, but normally I would give the edge to large males.

Roy