Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

Oceanic Sump

I'm using an Oceanic #3 sump combined with a 30g fuge for my 125g reef tank. I'm having a problem with the height of the built in baffle where the filter sponge is located.

It appears that I am losing approx 2 gal per day to evaporation. I only have about 3" to 4" of height between the min amount needed to clear the first baffle and overflowing the second baffle and pouring straight into the pump out section.

The 3" difference only equates to approx 5 gals of water and when the level gets to low my pump sucks in air and stops working after a couple of days. Additionally, after about 4 days the sponge picks up enough detritus to slow down the flow between the sump area and pump area and my pumps suck up air.

What if I silicone another piece of glass on top of the high wall of the baffle to raise the maximum amount of water that I can keep in the tanked without overflowing straight into the pump area?

Does this make sense to anyone? I can take a picture and describe further if needed.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

I can't visualize your exact situation, but can tell you I added about 8" to the top of both baffles in my Oceanic 3 by siliconing acrylic sheets over the existing short walls. I also added additional baffles to accomodate a fuge and a constant height skimmer chamber, and keep the water level at about 11". Also, just lose the sponge; its a nitrate factory . finally, sucking air will eventually damage the pump.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

That is what I am looking to do...add height to the short walls and while doing that, I would like to add let's say 8" to the taller wall and 6" to the shorter wall to increase the difference between the two. Any reason why you used plexi instead of glass?

I hear you on removing the sponge, but doesn't that let plenty of micro bubbles through to get pumped up into the display?

I have a seperate 30g fuge with a gravity feed to my sump. Do you have any pictures of your mods? I'll try to take a picture later to explain further what I want to do.

Lastly can you explain further how you acheived a constant height skimmer chamber? That is another problem that I have. It appears that my skimmate production changes with the water height and would like to keep it constant.

Thanks!
Jan
Old 01/03/2008, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Oceanic Sump

I used acrylic for two reasons- the edges of the glass I had on hand were sharp and hands are always in and out between baffels, and I had the acrylic handy. Glass will adhere better using silicone, though.

As for micro- bubbles, they are not a problem with or without the sponge once you raise the height of the first (upstream) baffle.

I will try to get a teenager to assist me in posting a diagram of my mod this weekend- I lack the technical skills. Short answer is try to find one of those sump threads where they have the construction pictures and just apply to what Oceanic has given you. Meantime I'll summarize what I did by starting with the O3
(mine could be an O2) as a base for building a usefull sump. The O3 wastes a lot of space and as you noted does not hold enough water. So- from the intake side, moving downstream, I installed a 10" dam creating a 10x11 constant skimmer chamber. Skimmer rests on a stand to keep it at a constant 7" water level. Water spills over the dam ( most bubbles dissapear at that point) to a refuge section. There is a new 10" baffle about 13" further downstream and about 2" before the existing Oceanic "underflow" baffel. The underflow baffle has been built up to 11", the following original O3 baffel to 10". Final chamber is about 11.5 by 9 to accomodate a submerasble pump in case of emergency plumbing issues. Depth in most of the sump is at 10"minimum with fluctuation only in the final chamber. I still need to top off about five gallons a week, though
Old 01/03/2008, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

Pictures would be great! What size tank do you have?
Old 01/03/2008, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

I just raised my water level without modifying the model 3 sump in any way. I also took out the sponge. In effect, no baffle......I have no bubbles at all.

Joe
Old 01/03/2008, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

You just have the water cascading over the higher baffle into the pump out section? I would think that would lead to more micro bubbles being pumped up to the display.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

I also just run my water level above the 2nd baffle.

Bubbles are forced over the baffle, and don't get into return pump.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Also- I have a 90 degree elbow in the "pump out" bulkhead, pointing downward. So the source for the return comes from the bottom of the final chamber, where thereare not many bubbles to be found.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jschottenfeld
You just have the water cascading over the higher baffle into the pump out section? I would think that would lead to more micro bubbles being pumped up to the display.
No cascading...My water level is 4~5 inches above the baffle.

Joe