Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy Help me catch my Domino Damsel!!!!

I need the help up the reef guru's to catch my Domino Damsel!

I bought this fish in the very beninning because I needed the hardiness to cycle the tank....plus I love to play domnino's! I really do like the fish's personalty, however...

Now - he's the biggest PIA in my tank! He harasses all my other fish and has been the reason for a few carpet surfers.
I have tried everything to capture this elusive fish but have not succeeded!

Here's what I have done so far and it's end result:

1. Two nets - Just hides in the rock till I take the nets back out of the water.
2. The inverted 2 Liter coke bottle trick where you cut the top off and turn it around inside the bottle to create a "trap" - I can catch my Yellow Tang a 1000 times over with this trick!
3. Barbless fly fishing fly - I'll try anything once. And as a spectator, it's pretty amusing to watch!

My rock work would be very difficukt to take out w/o destroying or killing a few things. And it doesn't help that my aquascape has a lot of nooks and crannies.

Any other ideas to catch him?

My new gobie would be very thankfull!

TIA

Jeff
Old 12/27/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

put a glass jar or vase with some food in it. when the fish goes in put you net infront.

put food in a net and train all your fishes to feed from the net.

get a fish trap from DR Foster

hope these help!
Old 12/27/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

siphon the water into a big container lowering the water and taking out the live rock will sometimes make it easier to catch with a net.
As much as you don't want to take out the rock you might even have to take it all out or just enough to clear one side of the tank. Some fishes are really good at hidding in rocks.
lesson to be learned, many people will tell you to carefully pick your fish before you put them in your tank. And many will also tell you its not a good idea to use a fish to cycle a tank. Anyways good luck and I can bet some money you will have to remove some rock.
Old 12/27/2007, 09:21 PM
Reef Cowboy

Feed by net. Takes some time, but eventually they'll fly right into it when you dunk it in the tank. Don't rush it though cuz they get wise if you try it before they're completely sure the net = food.
Old 12/28/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

I hate Damsels
Old 12/28/2007, 02:04 AM
have fun with it!~)

Does he sleep in the same spot at night? If so try sneaking up on him first with the lights off. Then another night with the lights on. Also you could try and confuse him with a flashlight another night. If. You have a net that's green try one that's transparent.

!-)
Old 12/28/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for all for you help!

If I catch him! Does anyone want him for free? He is deffinately beautiful and can hold his own in any tank. I would say he is about 2-1/2" or so?
Old 12/28/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

There are two ways.... Attach a needle to a wooden dowl and harpon his grouchy a!!$%%&^$#$$%^. I hate those gawd damn fish.

Or.... Take every rock out of your tank and then get him. I've had to do this before on some damsels early on. They are fast, and will mock you as your frustration grows. If there is ANYWHERE to hide in your tank... He will hide there with ease.... even if you move the hiding place around to shake him out.

Just harpoon him and get it overwith. They're only three bucks anyway.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robertloop
There are two ways.... Attach a needle to a wooden dowl and harpon his grouchy a!!$%%&^$#$$%^. I hate those gawd damn fish.

Or.... Take every rock out of your tank and then get him. I've had to do this before on some damsels early on. They are fast, and will mock you as your frustration grows. If there is ANYWHERE to hide in your tank... He will hide there with ease.... even if you move the hiding place around to shake him out.

Just harpoon him and get it overwith. They're only three bucks anyway.
Lets hope the fishy lovers don't see that post Robert!!!

If you catch him, I will house him in my aggressive tank if you like.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:16 PM
Moving Along

Ive had to do this task a couple of times. Most recent was a couple months ago where I moved most of my blue-green chromis out of my 50 into the 30 to make room for a fish Im not suppose to have

Tried all methods. While getting hot in the head and starting to feel the beserker step up to the plate I had an epiphony. Rather than keep fighting and moving rock, scaring everything that breaths and dipping nets in there, I thought, net? I got your net right here buddeh!! Then proceeded to throw in a large wad of bridal veil netting. The fish and the net did the rest and I just sat back in amazment thinking why the hell have I never done this before, as well as why doesnt everyone do this???

Couldnt be simpler,
1.throw a loosely twisted and wadded up bundle of netting material.
2Watch the fish swim up into and get caught
3. Pull both fish/net ball out in one scoop, and Get 'er done!!

-Justin
Old 12/29/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin74
50 into the 30 to make room for a fish Im not suppose to have

![/i]

-Justin
Im calling the TANG police!!!!!!!!

I reread my post and it does look a little savage. I think I was having a flash back of the anger involved in getting a damsel out of a reef tank. Those fish are so neat at first, but then turn into such jerks to the other inhabitants.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:00 PM
Moving Along

It's not a tang! Somthing prettier!

Muhahawahaha

-Justin
Old 12/30/2007, 12:39 PM
Chief Cat Herder

I had to get a very mean Tomato clown (redundant I know) out once. I tried a bunch of stuff. Finally, I got a 20 guage hook, filed the barb off, baited it with some of the Sanjay mix I'd been feeding at the time and went fishing. The $%^&* went for the bait like a great white. I set the hook so hard she came clean out of the tank. My buddy who was manning the net looked like he was playing tennis trying to net her in mid-air.

Happy Fishin

ps With damsels filing the barb off is optional
Old 12/30/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Please take a video of the fishing expedition. I'd love to watch that!
Reagan Eileen's Daddy (11/10/07 @ 3:27am; 6lbs 3 oz; 18 inches)

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer
Old 12/31/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

If you are a night person or very,very early morning, try the sneak up on the fish whilst sleeping technique. Has worked for me in the past (although I was unable to catch a 3/4" yellow gumdrop goby - head down in shame).

Justin - interesting technique. I might try that next!!

Scott
Old 12/31/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Did you ever get it out?

I'm with Robert i hate these fish.Throw it in Pauls tank hopefully that big blue face will put him in his place