Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

New to RC and the LIRA

Hey everyone! I never knew the LIRA was on Reef Central. I've posted of awhile on the RAG, but never knew you were here.

It's great to know that there are other people on the Island addicted to this hobby too! I hope you don't mind if I take a moment to introduce myself.

I have lived on the Long Island my whole life...Almost 30 yrs. Moved to Patchogue in fall of '04. I started my first reef tank in Sept of '06 after thinking about in for years. (Someone left the island and gave me their 29 gal tank).

I've gone throught quite a few problems. Some due to the lack of husbandry from the prior owner and some from my own mistakes. The biggest one is probably that we didn't change on the sand when we moved the tank and I think I'm feeling the effects now.

Well since I got the tank I added a 15 gal sump/fuge. Changed the lights from 130W PCs to 300W VHO (Although I'm currently running 275W, I'll get into that later). I got rid of the HOB biowheel filter. The stand I built for the tank is made for a 90gal, but I'm going to make it bigger, so I can get a 120 soon.

When I first got the tank nitrates were off the charts. With a little TLC (Massive Water Changes) I was able to get them down to 20ppm, but not lower. That's when I added the fuge and now trates are 0. Everything was going well and then one day a started to get a slow diatom bloom on the sand and then eventually on the coraline algae on the back and rocks.

This is where I'm stumped. With trates at 0 and PO4 at 0 I'm still getting diatoms and hair algae. I will post pics for everyone later. My RO/DI water is 0 TDS. The latest thing I'm wondering if the Home Depot buckets are leaching in something. Does anyone know where to get Food grade water containers on the Island? Any ideas what I may be doing wrong.

I got to go...hopefully I will be able to make the next meeting and register with the LIRA.

Matt
Old 12/27/2007, 06:56 PM
--sister of geek--

Welcome! You'll find quite a few hockey fans here too.
Old 12/27/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

I would be surprised if the buckets had anything to do with it. I would first wonder if your test reading are right. if you bring a water sample to the next meeting you can test it on the fancy calorimeter for po4. If it is the phosphates i would run a phosban reactor.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Shyland. Yea, I tested it today and it was 0 TDS. Guess last time I tested it I still had some residue left from the last time I did a water change. Hopefully I can make the next meeting. The 18th, right? Are there any test kits you would suggest for PO4? Also, I'm looking for a bigger tank for RO water. Do you know where they sell food grade tanks? Thanks Again!
Old 12/27/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

dont waste $ on a food grade tank. Any plastic container garbage pail will do the trick. With phosphate, keep in mind that with algae growth phosphate reading can be zero- Tha algae is consuming the phosphates making the reading zero. Phosban reactor with rowaphos as mentioned above should help
Old 12/27/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

i use a rubbermaid brute garbage can and i love it. if you want something different trade fair hardware on sunrise hwy in amityville has a good selection of random plastic containers.

i think the only accurate way to measure po4 is expensive, i would bring a sample from your tank to a meeting, free and very accurate.

and i agree with fragmented, run a phosban reactor with rowphos anyway, their cheap and work great.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Any suggestions on brands of reactors?
Old 12/28/2007, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

i use the two little fishes reactor, it's cheap and works well. i run roowaphos instead of phosban.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Thanks! BTW love your setup! Makes me want to add a side cabinet to mine. Great way to fit all the stuff everyone else has in a seperate fish room. Know if I can get the wife to let me take up more space in the basement!
Old 01/04/2008, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

I got the TLF reactor yesterday! I have two questions.

1. I says use a minimum of 130grams. According to the Phosar that I bought treats 130 gallons, but I only have atmost 40 gallons of water. Has anyone used less than the 130 grams the TLF says is the minimum?
2. I don't have anything to measure grams, I have seem 1 to 2 teaspoons per gallon of water. What does everyone follow?

Thanks!
Old 01/04/2008, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

The container should have a weight on it .
I have an older model and 150 grams is approx 3 inches of material above the sponge.
Remember not to tumble the material too fast.
Slow is the way to go!
Vinny