Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Does my puffer... have feelings?

So I went to my tank this morning...and sadly he killed my 10" blonde naso that I got 3 years ago.

Keep in mind this puffer is about 18 inches

So I walk in... and the puffer has the naso's tail in his mouth! Knawing on its tail and working its way up to his body (the entire tail, was in his mouth and its body hanging out of it)

I quickly grabbed the net and hit the puffer with it, he wouldnt let go of the naso and then he finally did i netted him out.

I put the naso in the bag and showed it to the puffer. The puffer turned away to look at the corner. (He never turns around)

I pulled food out, He didnt get excited and jump out the water.

He looked through the side of the tank to see his reflections of the scar that the net gave him.

He is now hiding in the rock work peeping up at me. (He was always in the front)

Sad =(

I showed him the naso again and he just turned away...
Old 12/26/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Fish are friends, not food...
Old 12/26/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

It sounds like he feels bad about it. He may be hiding too if you hit him with the net. All my fish recognize me. They all pace for food at the front left corner. So he could also remimber that when he saw you he got hurt and doesn't want to go up to you.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

I want to see a picture of this 18" puffer.

Do you have him in a 75 gallon?
Old 12/26/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

lol i'm pretty sure he just doesn't want to get hit again with the net
Old 12/26/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

No I have him in my 300gallon I wouldnt think of putting my puffer in a 75 Gal
Old 12/26/2007, 11:58 AM
a Buffer fish

absolutely fish have and experience emotion. Feelings is such a bad word as it conjurs up thoughts of childhood bullies.

But yes pain is the same as any other emotion. Anger, fear, ect. Do your fish get scared(fearfull) and hide in rocks? That is emotion.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

My porc puffer acted the same way when he ate my clown, but I didn't hit him with a net. He just hid in his cave for the whole day, and I had to work to get him out to eat. This is the only fish I have ever had that I think has emotions.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SSalty
I want to see a picture of this 18" puffer.
That's the same thing I was thinking. Put something in the pic for scale if you can. WOW!

I'm subscribign to thei thread hoping that you share your pics with us.
Old 12/26/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Yes, I think your fish feels guilty about killing the Naso since he obviously knew it was wrong to do, but he couldn't help himself, he looked so tasty. He also feels betrayed by you after the net incident. He thought you loved him unconditionally, now he sees that you only love him if he doesn't eat his tankmates, and that was never part of the deal before.

I'd say take him out of the tank, sit him down and have a heart to heart, but I'm not sure it would work. You may need to attend counseling together, and even then I'm not sure if your puffer will ever be able to have the same trusting relationship with you after your abuse.

j/k, fish don't like getting chased or hit, so he avoids you.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smithcreek
Yes, I think your fish feels guilty about killing the Naso since he obviously knew it was wrong to do, but he couldn't help himself, he looked so tasty. He also feels betrayed by you after the net incident. He thought you loved him unconditionally, now he sees that you only love him if he doesn't eat his tankmates, and that was never part of the deal before.

I'd say take him out of the tank, sit him down and have a heart to heart, but I'm not sure it would work. You may need to attend counseling together, and even then I'm not sure if your puffer will ever be able to have the same trusting relationship with you after your abuse.

j/k, fish don't like getting chased or hit, so he avoids you.