Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Starting at ground Zero again

First thanks for the warm welcome to us from all that replied to other post.
We as stated elsewhwere are starting from ground zero with nothing but ideas.
We want to get a reef going again but it will take a longer time now that we moved from St Louis to here to care for my mom. So we are going to do a small system 40 gallons or less. We live in Peoria at 107th ave and Northern Ave. We would appreciate it if anyone hears of anyone else either giving away or selling cheaply any reef equipment that will work for the size we have in mind from tanks, stands, lighting, skimmers, sumps, supplies just about anything from A to Z as we have nothing now but want to get back into this hobby bad. We honestly will take a while as I in the situation of med bills etc and care of my mom with alzheimers will have about a hundred bucks now ony and about fifty a week to spend till I get to where I can get going. Any ideas, suggestions, or info on any of this stuff is appreciated. We are 52 and 50 the wife and me and had a beautifull tank with a mud system sump in St Louis before moving here and miss it bad.
Thank you again to all that sent us a warm welcome and we hope to some time be able to attend a meeting from time to time.
I am also glad to see so many reef enthusiast here in Phoenis.
Thank you
Ron and Kathy
Reef keeping is the most adictive thing on earth and the most rewarding for the effort.
Old 12/25/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

make sure to check craigslist.com for used equipment, alot of times there are really great deals on there. you'll be up and running in no time and we have a great group of people here to help you.
Old 12/25/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

also check goodwill as they sometimes have tanks(just the tank) cheap
Old 12/25/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanks again for the replies and it will be after the new year before I even start anything but is it ok to come to meetings even if you dont have a tank yet? Just wondering is all.
thank you all
Ron and Kathy
Old 12/25/2007, 05:47 PM
Mushroom King

For sure you can come to the meetings the next one mater of fact is a Prop auction and you should go if anything just to meet people and see what you can see. Craigslist is a huge thing around here for find crazy deals.

You got pics from your old tank ????

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

"Ya I shot ya....What you gonna do about it ??" Cupid
Old 12/25/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Jonathan,
We had photos of our 110 and my mud filter I custom built all on a cd and since we moved here we can not find it anywhere, I told my wife I think we may have left it in the pc we sold back there before we moved. i had a shroom farm in that thing they proped all over the place and that was the first time I found out about salley lite foots shedding outer shells when we thought we had four dead ones when i hit them and they fall off the rock and I took them out and pitched them and later the wife yelled look there they are what the heck lol. It was a learning experience for sure.
Thank you all
Ron and kathy
Old 12/25/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Welcome I am at 95th and olive glad to see some west siders
Old 12/25/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Thank you it is nice to see others on this end of town the meetings I map qwested are 34 miles away maybe if you go to them we could drive together or take turns if you go that is let me know.
thanks
Ron and kathy
Old 12/25/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

There are always deals to be had on this forum and craigslist. Soon I'll be giving away a Red Sea Prism Pro skimmer for free - has a dead pump but a new one is like $50 max. I'll be taking names of new people and those on a tight budget that really need it, and I'll be drawing one name out of a hat (that way someone that doesn't spend 24/7 on here still has a chance) Keep an eye out for that thread

But anyway, look for the larger stuff on here, and you can find good deals on pumps, heaters, lights, etc on the main for sale forum as well.

Good luck.
Old 12/25/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Jason I would like to win that skimmer every bit helps get to the final destination the joy of seeing a reef in your home doesnt it? thanks again
Old 12/26/2007, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

Not sure if it would suit you but I'm moving up to a 90g tank & will be letting go of my 35g soon.

I'll be using the rock & sand but I should be able to toss in the return pump, skimmer, overflow and whatever else you need.

If it's not too small for ya PM me & we'll work out a price you can live with.

Others helped me getting into it, so it's only right that I help someone else wile getting out.

75th Ave & Peoria
Jeff
Old 12/26/2007, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

I sent you a pm Jeff and appreciate the offer we also are both in peoria, and you said help someone when getting out your not getting out your movin on up to the 90. Just let me know what you think.
thank you
Ron and kathy
Old 12/26/2007, 03:28 AM
Mushroom King

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffKirk
Not sure if it would suit you but I'm moving up to a 90g tank & will be letting go of my 35g soon.

I'll be using the rock & sand but I should be able to toss in the return pump, skimmer, overflow and whatever else you need.

If it's not too small for ya PM me & we'll work out a price you can live with.

Others helped me getting into it, so it's only right that I help someone else wile getting out.

75th Ave & Peoria
Jeff
AHMEN Brotha Us Westside folk gotta stick together to few and far between

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

Old 12/26/2007, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

Jonathan it seems that down here there isnt much interest in the hobby for some reason all up the other way towards scottsdale and I would love the meetings and all just a long haul to them as it woud be nice if enough of us down here could convince them to have a meeting down here from time to time to share the haul on our ends to. And again I would love the tank if you can work with me on it.
Thank again
Ron and Kathy
Old 12/26/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

There are Frag West meets.

Also, it's really not that bad of a drive I drive from 40th st & camelback out to surprise now and again to visit my brother...takes a while, but really getting ANYWHERE in Phoenix takes a while
Old 12/26/2007, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

Hi Ron,
Welcome I was just looking on Craigslist for something else, and found 2 aquariums on there for really cheap.

There is a 65 gallon acrylic aquarium with white textured stand and top- $100.
55 gallon corner horizontal corner with cherry wood stand- $ 75

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/pet/519579502.html

I realize its a little bigger than what you'd said you wanted to start out with, but I thought of you when I read it, so I thought Id share the link, and maybe you, or someone else on here can get a late Christmas present.

Good luck!!
Old 12/26/2007, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the though, i just emailed him about them wait to get an answer
Old 12/26/2007, 01:27 PM
Mushroom King

Woot and away we go ...gonna get Ron and Kathy hooked up

Old 12/26/2007, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

That's a great deal, I love Craig's List
Old 12/26/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

heck, right now there is a full 60g setup on the forums. That'd be a nice easy way to start up again
Old 12/26/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

What do you think of the find for $100

Hi Jason, my problem is I dont have much money now that is only about 50 a week I can spend and a little now and no one will let me make payments they dont know me and dont trust that and I dont blame them.
Take a look at my new post and look at my photos now we did find a decent deal I think for only $100 bucks a 45 gallon acrylic no stand thou bummer, power compact light with moon lites, power heads, heater, small filter, chemicals, some live rock, sand, some polyps growing a sea urchin and a clown all for only
$100 I thought it was a good deal myself what do you think go to my photos and see the tank lite etc and rock and let me know.
thanks
Old 12/26/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I responded to your other thread Sounds like you got a good deal to me.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

NO TANK AFTERALL IT FELL APART

Well no tank after all went to get it and the guy change the price
he said he told me more and he did not otherwise i would not have gone so back to none again.
thank you all thou
Ron and Kathy