Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Dead Peppermint Follow up

Well, 2 more dead shrimp.

I would like to thank the guys who replied to my other post.

I have had 3 differnt groups of Pepermints die.

Here is the sit.

New Take, (40 Days)
PH = 8.3
Temp, 77
Amonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10

Damsils live for entire time and now have been replace by 2 clown fish. All fish surived just fine.

125g Tank, 75 LBS Live Rock 125LBS Argonite, Wet Dry Filter w/Protien Skimmer.

Take Occupents:
2 Clown Fish (Common Varitiy)
2 Brittle Stars, Very Small
1 Star, less than a dime in size
18 hermit Crabs all healthy
More bristle worms than I can count.

This time, I watch them die. Acculated them for more than 45 min. 15 for temp, then added one turkey baster of water ever 10 until i doubled the water volume in the bag.

After 4 hours, all was well, They had good color and movement.

Turned of the lights while listening and watching for a mantis. the shrimp stayed where they were and after about an hour or so, the water movemnt caused one to float from it's position. Dead as a dornail. So i used my poker to see it the other would move and it was dead.

I have never medicated this tank in any fasion. The water that was used to start the take was tap water that was put though a food grade filter (.5 micron)

My only guess is that i have cooper problem, but i thought they would kill the hermits.

Any Ideas.....

Last edited by chasingmytail; 12/22/2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12/22/2007, 10:11 PM
RC Mod

Did you measure the SG in the bag and the tank? Doubling the volume in the bag isn't necessarily enough. I usually measure along the way, and target a change of about 0.001 units every 15-20 minutes.
Old 12/22/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

I didn't measure the SG. I have no idea what the LFS SG was.
I will be sure next time to measure the SG in the bag before adding my water. Thanks for the advice... I can tell you after talking with the LFS, they told me they were at 1.020 and I was at 1.0205. I have raised mine to 1.021 since then and will continue untile i reach 1.023. Again, thanks for the advice.
Old 12/22/2007, 10:42 PM
RC Mod

Well, if the SG levels were that close, something else must be the issue, although I target 1.026-1.027 for my tanks. That's about the canonical ocean average. 1.020 is low enough that there are questions as to how well animals will do.
Old 12/23/2007, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

I would recommend you set up a quarantine tank and acclimatize everything you purchase in there. LFS around here can keep the salinity as low as .018 and that's a big difference from .026.
You can gradually change the salinity in a qt tank over 24 hrs.