Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Military and having a reef

Ok so here it goes. I am begining to think that having a Reef tank(Not FOWLR) and being in the military is a PIA. Why I say this? Because I get the lovely job of moving my tank for the 5th time since the beginning of 06 next week. I wont to here other militAry members stories on this and if they feel the same on it.
Old 12/21/2007, 02:56 PM
Mortar Target

14 years of military service. I tried to have a tank here and there, but it never worked out; always moving. Just when I was back into the groove and up and running, I was sent to Iraq. I have since resigned my commission so I don't need to worry about being shipped anywhere else.
Old 12/21/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

i am not in the marines but i have yet to move. when i go out i have trained (you like that) the wife to take care of it. i will say though that my system is pretty much self sustained... the more automatic you can make it the better.

as far as moving around though i could not imagine. why do you move so much? are you in the beginning of your career? i tmay be best to give the hobby up temporarily until you get settled. just my thoughts. merry christmas
Old 12/21/2007, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

Thats the thing I have been in over 7 years. I seem to have this gray cloud over me. If I can make it just another 9 months I will be alright.
Old 12/21/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

While I was in the Navy, I didn't have a tank set up, just too much moving. It was the only time in my life I haven't had a tank of some sort.

The 74 in my name is my ships hull number, CVN-74 USS John C Stennis.
Old 12/21/2007, 03:32 PM
Huge Member

It would be alot easier if it was a nano

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 12/21/2007, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

When I first came in, I had 6 tanks up and running after the third move I was down to 2.
Old 12/21/2007, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

What? They don't make desert camo pocket sized nanos yet?

If you are someone else can't be there to take care of the critters, it's best not to do it quite yet.

That being said, and as a former cadet that didn't quite get his commission, I appreciate your service and all those that serve in the armed forces protecting us here and abroad. Thank you!
Old 12/21/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

I'm in the AF right now. I'm on my 2nd tank due to moves. I think what it comes down to, is how much you love the hobby. If you don't love it enough to deal with the constant breaking down, and setting up, then you will eventually not have a tank. You are obviously a dedicated Reefer, so it seems to me, that you will continue to have tanks throughout your career. I know I will not have my dream tank until I get out though, but I will always have a tank of some sort.
Old 12/21/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

i'm personally glad to see your all alive being able to discuss a hobby......some can't afford to even have your problem of having to move something, since they can't even afford it. always someone with more problems....i'd say keep it moving and be happy with what you have, life will work it out for you in the end...and thanks for serving, honorable job.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

I really do love this hobby. What I think is pi****g me off is that it isnt my fault that I have to move. If it was because of orders and what not I wouldnt mind, but no I am being forced to move because of these mold infested house. But liked stated before I am glad and grateful that I atleast can move or talk about it as there have been countless military members that are unfortunate and aren't with us to discus this. God bless them.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

I feel all your pain. I have been in the Corps for 11yrs, i have been moving around quite a bit . I manage to have a large reef tank and everything pretty much automatic. My wife has been very helpful with dosing the Zeovit stuff and feeding the fish daily.

Recently i receive my web order to PCS to Aurora Colorado. The move take place in May 2008. I have to sell everything even the tank (by the way, i upgrade ). We all know life in the military are not ordinary. We have training, deploy or just long hrs of work. In the past 7yrs i try not to move even if i have to drive 110 miles one way to go to work. I don't want to disturb the tank unless i have to. It work out very well but it is also a PITA to deal with traffic in California.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jar*Head
I feel all your pain. I have been in the Corps for 11yrs, i have been moving around quite a bit . I manage to have a large reef tank and everything pretty much automatic. My wife has been very helpful with dosing the Zeovit stuff and feeding the fish daily.

Recently i receive my web order to PCS to Aurora Colorado. The move take place in May 2008. I have to sell everything even the tank (by the way, i upgrade ). We all know life in the military are not ordinary. We have training, deploy or just long hrs of work. In the past 7yrs i try not to move even if i have to drive 110 miles one way to go to work. I don't want to disturb the tank unless i have to. It work out very well but it is also a PITA to deal with traffic in California.
Never been stationed there,trained out there. My wife is very good at taking care of the tank if I would have to leave any where. But that wont happen as I have been through 3x knee surgeries and looking at a 4th one. Sometimes I have sat here and thought about just giving it up till I settle down, but if you love the hobby like I do. My fish or like my kids, but well behaved and dont need new clothes each season.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

USMC, have you ever look into Inspector_Instructor Staff Duty? I have been on it for 7yrs and very happy with it. If you need more information on it, PM me...