Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

lighting is it to strong?????

hi i recently upgraded my 24 gallon aquapod with a hqi 250 watt light fixture and was told this is to strong for all lps i wanted a plate coral of a nice brain to go in the sand on the bottom, if it was near a corner if less intesnse light would it be ok??
Old 12/21/2007, 01:18 AM
NaH2O

That 250w HQI is a pretty intense light, but you can keep LPS I am sure. Just be weary of whereabouts in your tank you place them in order to make sure you don't make them bleach. Most LPS probably don't need to be directly under the HQI, however I'm positive you can slowly acclimate them by starting the LPS in areas of the tank with less light, and slowly moving them into a more brightly lit area.
Also, you can have LPS in the less intensely lit areas, and have SPS in the middle of your tank
Old 12/21/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Hey there, I agree woth rhythmicfire, I have the same setup as a prop tank. I keep some of my lords off to the side on the bottom, and the sps on top a little higher, directly under the lights. Certain aquacultured lords and micros maintain their vibrant colors better under 20K. With all that wattage per gallon, just watch your temp and your ph, depending on how long you run those lights. I only run 4-5 hours per day. I watch my parameters because I do heavy feedings for my lords. Along with frequent water changes. Hope this helps. Al
Old 12/21/2007, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

What did you upgrade from? You might have to acclimate the corals to the new lighting slowly.
Old 12/21/2007, 06:19 PM
Boomer gave me this

I've got a 250 Hqi above my 10 gallon tank, I have some micros' acans' ricordea, and they all loce it, my micros gorw very fast and with no target feeding.
I think LPS can actually deal with bright light better than a lot of SPS out there.
I've never had one die or bleach out the way SPS will under bright light. Now my trachyphyllia "open brain" corals don't seem to favor the bright light but all the others do great.
C
C
Old 12/21/2007, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

I have a 90g with 2-250 HQI. I have a number of hammers, torches, and frogspawns about 12in to about 30in under the lights. They do well in tanks lit by intense lighting, basically they do well anywhere I put them. I also have a few plates. They however do not like the intense lighting but do well about 24 inches and lower under the lights. Brain corals I have no experience with so I do not no.
Old 12/22/2007, 03:35 AM
Registered Member

you should be fine
Old 12/22/2007, 09:39 AM
Premium Member

I bleached some of my corals when I switched from MH to Solaris. I still can't run the fixture at 100%.