Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 07:31 AM
Registered Member

was this a good idea?

ok so for my 70 gallon tank i got alot of new rock. About 70 lbs more. there are a few fishes in there. damsels, maroon clown, and naso tang. it was from a guy in brooklyn. i put it directly into the tank after a little wash once i got home after the 45 min ride back. it was semi wrapped in a wet towel. Could alot of die off occur with in this time? should i have cured it again? i smelled everything before it went into the tank and there was no bad fishy smell. i will put a remora skimmer on this also for a few days (from my other tank).

i really hope i didnt mess this up.

ps, anyone selling a 48" dual t5 lighting?
Old 12/20/2007, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

Was the rock from an already running tank?

If so, how long was the rock in the previous tank?
Old 12/20/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

if you did keep it moist the whole ride home, there should be little to no die off.

just keep an eye on your ammonia for the next week or two and if you see a rise, do a water change to try and get rid of it.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Hi
I don't think you messed anything up. If the tank was up and running you should have plenty of bacteria. If you get a spike there is really nothing you could do about it now. I wouldn't not do alot of water changes but let the re-cycle (if it happens run its course). I think we can overthink or over worry about these things. Of course this is my humble opinion

Andy
Old 12/20/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

ok good. the tank i got it from has been running for a while.. alot of good coralline.. yay!!..

im gonna test for the next two weeks to be sure.

thanks everyone for the help.