Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 02:50 AM
Registered Member

Red face Alright So how can you Sex A toad Stool?

Well I asked questions back than on why mine wasn't growing bigger. I had it for a few months and it stayed practically the same size. So a fellow RC'er mentioned that its a male because it doesn't grow and thats how you sex them. Is this true?
Old 12/19/2007, 03:23 AM
Hydrophilic

Well, while most studied Sarcophytons (and members of Alcyoniidae) have been found to form sexually distinct colonies (all male or all female). The same can not be said for all soft corals- a number of Heteroxenia, for example, are hermaphroditic.

But... Ive not come across any research that shows obvious sexual dimorphism in Alcyoniidae. Other corals... maybe... I read one paper that noted that populations of Corallium rubrum that were heavily harvested by humans tended to be predominantly female. I presume that means the males were preferentially collected, probably due to Some kind of dimorphism that leads the males being more desirable for human use (jewelry...).

So based on that, I think your friend is full of it- lol. Most corals need to be of pretty substantial size before they will spawn anyhow, so I dont see why a male colony would stop growing at a relatively small size. Thats assuming your toadstool isnt 3 feet across I suppose. That said, Im nowhere near being an expert, so if you find something contradictory, Id love to hear it. If you want to sex it though- break out the microscopes and textbooks- you can see sperm or egg development in the polyps with the right tools. Otherwise.... water changes, lower Kelvin lamps, and increased flow are going to be your best bets for getting growth out of your coral.

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 12/19/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info Hormigaquatica, heres the thread I got the info from
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ght=toad+stool
Old 12/20/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

agreed with horm on the size of most hobby sarcophytons in relation to sex. i read somewhere (i think it was either benayahu or verseveldt) that sarcos need to hit a stalk girth or 8"~10" or more to be considered sexually mature.

i think that's a bit too general given the varieties of sarcos and their differing physical features, e.g. s. latum or tortuosum are "massive" stalk forms anyways, does that mean they reach maturity earlier than other species?

i've also heard 7-seven years bandied about (by myself as well ) but that's probably dependent upon environment (food source, lighting, calendar cycles, etc.).

but most references seem to say size denotes maturity, so the common hobby practices of continual fragging probably limits/stunts that normal growth progress/maturation.

i've not heard of any obvious dimorphism for sarcos. and i'm not even sure where the definitive "sexing" of them come from (probably from observed spawnings but possible cyclical hermaphroditism could explain that imo).

i wouldn't really worry about it though. if you have to know though, peek under the cap and if there's a little polyp, it's probably a boy sarco. hth
Old 12/20/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

This is from EB...just for some more insight

They are separate sexes (gonochoric) and broadcast spawners as far as is known. I'm not sure anyone can say if all species are, but for those examined this is what is known. There is no dimorphism and it would take sectioning a polyp and looking for the presence of developing gonads to know. Also, these are long-lived colonies and will be probably 10+ years old before they spawn - or at least so the little bit of literature that exists on it suggests. Males probably develop earlier.