Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 12:20 PM
Moved Aside

For those of you who use Randys Two Part

Not sure if people have seen this or not, but if you use Randys Two Part you want to read!!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1271282
Old 12/18/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

oh my

I Brake for FRAGS!
Tampa Bay Reef Club
Old 12/18/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Yikes!!!

I guess I need to order some B-ionic when my old DowFlake is used up.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 12/18/2007, 05:36 PM
Moved Aside

Quote:
Originally posted by Mavrk
According to the press release you can look at the lot number. If it has a "U" or a "PC" then it is not good to use. The problem is that this desination was only in effect until the end of 2006.

I'd say you are better off ordering from twopartsolution or finding another alternative as suggested above.
Old 12/18/2007, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the heads up. This is why I like the TBRC forum! Info is priceless.
Old 12/18/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

I found a bag of Tetraflake at Pinch a Penny a few months ago. Lists ingredients as CaCl2 (77%), NaCl and KCl.

I skimmed the referenced article and saw nothing but good stuff about the Tetraflake... did I miss anything?
Old 12/18/2007, 08:18 PM
Hulkamaniac

I saw some at pinch a penny in Bradenton. Im curious to find out how harmful this bromide is.
amm 0
phos 0 salifers
Calcium 450 salifer
alk 11 dkh

Ph 8-8.1
Old 12/18/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

took 2 years for this to pop up?? wow
Old 12/18/2007, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

Well Dow has only admitted to changing the formula in Dec. of 2006.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

ok who has a used cal. reactor for sale :-)

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/18/2007, 10:15 PM
Moved Aside

i thought i have read that twopartsolution.com still has the "good" dow in stock, and once it runs out they already have another source wihtout bromide lined up.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

that is what I just asked on the thread that was posted. if they don't they are going to be going out of busenes

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/19/2007, 12:01 AM
RC Sponsor

Dow used to produce bromide products . they got the bromide by removing it from their calcium chloride. They stopped selling bromide products and stopped removing it.

However, there is no shortage of other high quality calcium chloride providers in the world. In fact many of them produce a product that is of higher purity. Dow just happened to be suitable and widely available before.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:21 AM
Premium Member

this is why i invested in a calcium reactor because the company dosent have to release this info sence its not a aquarium product but it is great that they did knowing that people used it in there aquarium
Old 12/19/2007, 12:59 AM
RC Sponsor

typically chemical manufacturers will inform customers of any important changes that are made to the production of their products to avoid liability.

I would guess that Dow's main concern here is spas and pools.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:16 PM
Moved Aside

Quote:
Originally

posted
by Snarkys

Recently we have been receiving a bunch of questions about the manufacturing changes at Dow and the new elevated bromide levels in their calcium chloride, we would like to address this.

The brine that Dow uses to make calcium chloride has always had these levels of bromide. Recently Dow has made the decision to stop the processing step that removes bromide from their calcium chloride. This means that any new material will contain what we believe to be unacceptable amounts of bromide and will not be using any of the new Dow material.

All of the calcium we sell was produced by Dow prior to these changes and does not contain the new elevated levels of Bromide. The change to the “food grade” material was made in 2007. We have a huge stockpile of material produced prior to the changes and there will be no shortage of availability for a very long time. In addition we have already sourced other high quality manufactures for when this runs out.

Please keep in mind that while Dow is one of the major producers here in the US they are not the only one. There are also several high quality international options. This is going to have very little impact on the aquarium industry. The main impact it will be on the “do it yourself “ aquarist because Dow was the most readily available product to the consumer. Please be aware a large portion of retail calcium chloride found in hardware stores and pool stores is repackaged Dow product.