Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

A few question about the strange life inside my tank

the frist thing is i have a kena tree and this thing just never seems happy. Its always hanging over and i just dont get it mean i have a BTA and other coral that is doing just fine and i heard kena trees are on of the easier kind.

Any idea ?

Also those red worms ... i forget what they are called

but they are everywhere and some of them much much bigger then i think they should be. Are these things good for the tank or are they a problem ?

Also i have baby snails and when i say i have baby snails i have tons of them. they are just everywhere i didnt even know snails would make babys in a tank. do they lay eggs or something

any info would be helpful

Happy Holidays everyone
Old 12/17/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

what red worms? Feather dusters?

Yes, snails lay eggs. If you saw a trail of white specks on your glass, those are snail eggs. I've got a ton in my aquarium now too. They seem to be very hardy.

Thanks!
Ricky
Old 12/17/2007, 08:51 PM
Team RC Member

bristleworms. Good worms.
snails will settle down. A lot end up as fishfood. Enjoy the blooms.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:25 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Post a pic if you can. Bristle worms are good but there are other red worms that will multiply and cover your tank.

Blow the Kenya tree or gently brush it off. When mine was first introduced in the tank it would close up after a couple of days. After I brushed it off it was good for a couple of days, It now is doing fine and I dont brush it off at all. It even is dropping offspring.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:12 PM
Delaware Reef Club & DVRC

My Kenya tree is sooo fussy. It has closed up for weeks at a time sometimes and then coming back to looking fine. If it is getting decent flow and your water parameters are in check I wouldn't worry.

If they are bristle worms then there populations are dynamic and they will grow when you need them and go away when you don't. I agree with Al though that you should make sure they are bristle worms and not flat worms. Flat worms will grow to astronomical levels and can be close to impossible to get rid of.

Good luck.