Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

where can I buy pickling lime

the closer to San Mateo, the better.

Also, does anyone know what Cal [the mexian stuff] is? Is it calcium carbonate or hydroxide?
Old 12/17/2007, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

I found mine at wal-mart where the baking pans are.
Old 12/17/2007, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

does the one in mountain view have it?
Old 12/17/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

All Walmarts have it during this time of year since people are pickling stuff.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

do any of the safeways have it? i honestly think that going to walmart this time of year (with xmas and all) is a bad idea. or, perhaps, anywhere closer? thanks.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

ive never seen it at safeways...

Ive only heard of walmarts supplying them.
Old 12/17/2007, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

We have some for sale at BAR meetings. I am pretty sure we sell it for $5 bucks.
Old 12/17/2007, 08:05 PM
Byte mechanic

yeah, the only place I've see pickling lime for sale is the Walmart. Look in the section with the Jam making stuff (mason jars, etc). Don't even bother asking for help from a "Walmart Associate", I had to ask like 6 people for "pickling lime" before giving up and hunting it down myself.

"You want pickles?"
no
"Limes?"
no pickling lime
"Pickles?"
no! Forget it!
"limes?"
Aaaaaaahhhhhh!

You can also buy "Mrs Wages Pickling Lime" off the net, or, as you mentioned "Cal" in a Mexican market. (used to make tortillas).

V
Old 12/18/2007, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincerama2
yeah, the only place I've see pickling lime for sale is the Walmart. Look in the section with the Jam making stuff (mason jars, etc). Don't even bother asking for help from a "Walmart Associate", I had to ask like 6 people for "pickling lime" before giving up and hunting it down myself.

"You want pickles?"
no
"Limes?"
no pickling lime
"Pickles?"
no! Forget it!
"limes?"
Aaaaaaahhhhhh!

You can also buy "Mrs Wages Pickling Lime" off the net, or, as you mentioned "Cal" in a Mexican market. (used to make tortillas).

V
You couldn't have been more right. I couldn't find an employee for the life of me--it seemed as if nobody worked in that over-sized store. And the few that I did find, either didn't speak english or couldn't figure out their head from their rear.

After a 1 hour round trip drive and a 30 minute tour of walmart, i realized that walmart is not somewhere I'd ever want to revisit--it was a zoo. I've never seen so many unattended children in one place. Two year olds were sitting on the floor, in a busy aisle, while their parents were three aisles over still screaming, "come on (so and so)." The adults in there were a whole different story; they couldn't have been less civilized. There were numerous couples arguing and swearing at eachother[who the hell does that in public?]. Some chick was swearing to her boyfriend about how some off-brand coolaid didn't say how many people it served. what the heck??? It's walmart, just buy two--they're 50 cents a piece. One guy was having an extremely loud conversation on his cell phone (on speaker) as if a cell phone was a new invention that he was proudly showing off. And, well, I could go on and on but i'll spare the drama.

After a 30 minute search near the baking/canning section and even the aisle where they sold salts, pickles, etc., I came out of there empty handed (they didn't even have the stuff) and needing to immediately smoke an entire pack of cigarettes along with a 30 pack of beer to get my heart rate back in check. I now know how kent and other manufacturers can get away with selling kalk for the price that they do.

Well, thanks for all your help anyways. I'm gonna stick to two part and just use Cal instead.

Last edited by AlexB650; 12/18/2007 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Alex, I have a couple of extra 16oz containers of MS Wages Pickling lime from when I used to have a Kalk Reactor, let me know if you or anyone else is interested. 5 bux ea.