Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

Question Wanna be newbie

I am very excited to find this Chicago based forum! I am just getting my feet wet (pun intended). I have tons of questions and am drowning in info from RC forums. A bit of background to let you know my limitations before you answer my questions. 1. I live in a highrise condo in the South Loop. I don't have a handy basement or garage to putter in. 2. My husband is giving me a budget of $3000 for the year to get started in reef aquarium keeping as a Christmas gift. 3. I have no tools or place to keep them if I wanted them.

All that being said I figure that I have room for 60 - 120 tank depending on the shape and dimensions. I see from the responses to the other gentleman setting up a new reef aquarium that there is a debate over whether to buy reef ready or glass or acrylic. If I have no diy abilities is reef ready all in 1 kit a necessity for me? What are the downsides to buying used from Craigslist or here? I have only looked at Old Town and their RR sets with a stand will start out at $1300 before you get any LR or LS. By the time I got everything setup I would be looking at a minimum of $2400 before I got a single critter or coral polyp. Is there a better way? Is $3000 way too low and unrealistic?

In other words does anyone have advice for me? By the way does CMAS still have meetings? The info on the website seemed to stop being updated earlier this year.

Thanks
Old 12/15/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

I am selling a used Reef Ready 90 gal complete tank.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1271768
Old 12/15/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

I like the tank but I would need a black stand. How does one go about transporting such a thing? I am assuming that the rock and such does not come with it. How much would LR and LS cost?

Thanks
Old 12/15/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Welcome Beth!!!!

If your ok with buying a used tank try here from fellow reefers and you can try craigslist also. I know you can pick up a great tank for under 500 easily. But first decide where would you be putting it, also I think trying to get a big tank up into a highrise would be challenging keep this in mind when deciding of the size tank.
Old 12/15/2007, 02:45 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Beth:

I bought a setup similar to the one JRaquatics is selling and it worked out really well. That tank is now my fuge on my larger system.

But, some of your limitations are of concern. I have to assume there is a large elevator in the building, so moving shouldn't be an issue -- just time and muscle.

The stand can be re-stained any color you want and, if careful, could be done even with tank set up. With care.

You'll find many here willing to help you with the move, setup, and guidance as you get going. I for one could lend a hand depending on when -- I'm totally free between the 20th and 23rd though.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 12/15/2007, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

Well if you only have have a 3000 budget for the year just remember that next year is only a few weeks away.

Anyways there are always tanks a equipment for sale here along with live rock, coral frags, and fish. there is nothing wrong with buying used. I bought a few things on here for very cheap. The best thing that i can recommend is take your time and have fun. It is best not to rush things in this hobby.
Old 12/15/2007, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

A couple pieces of advice.

Decide on what you want then seek it out. Don't buy based on what you see - make a plan first. You will almost always find what you want if you are patient. (and I mean a couple of weeks patient not 6 months patient)

This is an expensive hobby that people move in and out of frequently. Also, people jump in and then upgrade. Given those two things there is a tremendous amount of good quality used equipment out there.

Your tank will be one of your cheap purchases. Stock and equipment will add up. Buy good stuff and don’t skimp. You will find that you need to upgrade sooner and spend more money. I started with VHO lights, and then went to Power Compacts then HQI. If I just bit the bullet and spent $300 more at the start I would have saved $800 over time. So plan it out first.

Tank - - You are mixing a few things. Reef Ready means that it has internal overflows and is most likely drilled at the bottom. Non-Reef Ready means that you will need to use and external overflow box. I personally like the Reef Ready. I think that is what most people try to get. Glass vs. Acrylic – glass is much heavier and does not scratch as easy. Acrylic is light and easier to move. Personally I think glass is easier on maintenance. It does come down to personal taste. So your decision is:
1 Glass or Acrylic
2 Reef Ready vs. Non Reef Ready
3 Gallons
4 Dimensions

Then – lights, pumps, filtration and stocking.
Old 12/15/2007, 04:22 PM
Fish what? Look @ me

If you are in need of a 4ft. light fixture I can hook you up fairly cheap. It's a 2x250W Metal Halide plus 2x110 VHO bulb fixture. This is a great fixture at a great price considering brand new the cost would be closer to $800. A word of advise...be patient and try to buy everything used...you'll save a bundle of money that way. Wait until someone breaks down their tank to buy sand and Live Rock especially.

See the link.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1189377
Old 12/15/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. Wow! People would really help someone move a tank. That is pretty amazing these days. Thanks very much for the offer Ostrow. I am leaving to visit my daughter for Christmas in a couple of days. After the New Year I was planning on looking seriously at tanks and equipment. I would hope to have something bought by Feb. and start that whole cycling thing. I am very excited.

I just walked over to the Shedd and enjoyed looking at their Wild Reef set up. That will have to last me for awhile.
Thanks,
Beth
Old 12/15/2007, 04:37 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Are you sure you floor can handle the weight? Especially on an inside wall. I have my 90g (inside wall) & 125g (outside wall) shored up in the basement.
Old 12/15/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Floor support is a good question. I probably need to ask the engineer of the building. It is a new building with steel beams and concrete ceilings. The condo association probably has some kind of rules since they have rules about everything else. Does anyone have an estimate of weight per gallon with all of the added rock and tank and water and sand?
Old 12/15/2007, 04:44 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Don't forget sump/fuge too.
Old 12/15/2007, 04:49 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

I would think a high rise would be easily able to handle it. But what do I know? Somewhere on here is a weight calculator ... check out the Reef Central front page to see.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 12/15/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

i would go big if i had 3 g's like a 220gal
Old 12/15/2007, 05:48 PM
Pufferkrazy!

$3,000 is for everything though, rock, fish, corals--everything!
Old 12/15/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Yeah $3000 is it for the year 08 by the way. I don't want to get a tank set up with nothing in there but the rocks. I really would like some corals and such stuff to go with my protein skimmer and sump and all the other stuff.
Old 12/15/2007, 06:47 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Yeah--save some for the corals!
Old 12/15/2007, 06:50 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Don't sweat the corals. Plenty of folks here will give frags or sell at basically free. $10 and under. It will be a tiny part of your budget -- if you allow it to be.

Old 12/15/2007, 07:50 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Unless you want something really special...
Old 12/15/2007, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

Hello Beth J
If your going to purchase new equipment/rock/sand? I estimate it will cost in the neighborhood of $50.00 a gallon for a top shelve set up... Also, buying used could save a ton of the green! Oh, and welcome aboard!!!
Old 12/15/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Beth,

the rule of thumb is close to ten pounds per gallon of water per tank. One gallon of water weighs 8 pounds. Beth if you are looking for a tank stand, LR, LS skimmer, Anything please PM me. PM is private message.