Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Fragging Zoanthids

How do you get zoa's to frag onto a new piece of rock? Do you just place a small rock next to a colony and wait until they move over, or can you physically move them?
Thanks Gina
Old 12/09/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

I am lazy, so I place rubble next to the rock and let them do the work themselves. However, there is a way to chisel underneath them (just a piece of the rock they are on) and then mount it. You have to be extremely careful NOT to get any zo excretion in your eyes or in open cuts. Thats part of the reason I am lazy. There have been posts about people going to the ER after getting squirted by zo excretion while fragging.
Old 12/09/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

You can take a razor blade and work it underneath the polyp(s) and try to scrape off some of the rock it is attached to (without cutting into the polyp itself). Then all you have to do is superglue (the gel kind) it to another (make sure the area you are glueing is dry) rock, or you can shove it in a hole if your not worried it will blow away. It's very simple once you get the hang of it.

Or like said you can just put a rock next to the colony and they will spread on it over time.
Old 12/10/2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Rydr119-
I'm interested in Fragging some of my zoa's too!
But they have started to grow on to my main rock and I can not lift them out of the tank.
Is it safe to frag them in the tank?
Old 12/14/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Zoas have got to be the easiest thing to frag IMO.

I just slide a rock up next to them and let the grow over on top of it. When you have 6 or 8 of them on the new rock--just take a brand new razor knife and slice right between the rocks. Wash the razor blade first to remove any oils from it.

If you happen to rip a zoa in half or kill a couple--no big deal. Don't panic. They grow back.

I accidentally fragged a couple yellow polyps off my mother colony the other day. The rock was leaning against the back glass for about a month. I decided to move the rock, and picked it up. I had no idea that 3 of them had attached themselves to the glass. RIP!!

They are doing well. Full extension and flapping in the current. I hope they spread.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...llowPolyps.JPG

I'm sure you could do the same thing with zoas. Set 'em against the glass and wait for them to spread. Then just slice the mother colony off. Instant Glass Zoas!!