Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Help with burning smell

I woke up today to this really rank burning smell coming from my aqua pod. I turned everything off. Water temp is fine. Heater and two pumps look, feel, run fine. I don't know whats going on. I have not checked the water quality yet but after running the tank for another 10 minutes I pulled the heater out and it was steaming. Not sure if thats supposed to happen.

Right now I have the tank shut down. Any advice?
Old 12/07/2007, 10:12 AM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

Are you sure it's coming from the tank? Not a plug or something, like your power bar underneath? I had a timer cook on me once before.

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
Old 12/07/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Yeah it's the tank. Or in the tank.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Could it be from a pump that was sucking in air too much? I have a pump going to my cuctom fuge on the back that may have been halfway in the water. Water was still going to the fuge since I can see it coming back into the tank. But maybe it could have been it was running too dry?
Old 12/07/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Water splashing on Mh? lol thats my excuse though.

Drew
Old 12/07/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Pcs. And I just took them off and it is still coming form the tank.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:36 AM
Team RC Member

Put your hand on each plug including that at the wall. Each wire. Each plug-in higher up. If you get appreciable warmth, that might help pin it down.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Nope, it's for sure coming from the tank and no plugs are hot. How long can a 24 aqua pod go with no power?
Old 12/07/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

the other day one of my pumps was spilling water onto my some of the plugs.. it almost started a fire..

but i have no idiea what that could be, because it seems like you didnt have any sparks or anything. and one time i somehow left an old heater turned on outside of the tank, and then i put it in water, and it started steaming and it smelled bad..so idk
Old 12/07/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Maybe it was just the heater. I put more water in the tank in case it was too low, I have been checking everything. The smell is starting to go away. Just scared me a bit. I can't wait to get this tank emptied into my 100 once it's done cycling.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:12 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Never pull a heater out of the water until you have had it unplugged for 10 minutes er so. It was steaming cause it was in the process of heating the water.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for that. Never new about that part, I always new not to turn on the heater until after about 15 minutes in the water.