Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Angel tanks, what is your Nitrate PPM at?

Just curious, as I am having a hell of a time fighting very high nitrates and I don't want to lose my blueface down the road.

At worst mine was above 220ppm, I have beaten it down to 100ppm and shooting for 5-20ppm.

Dosing Vodka and Sugar.

Recently moved fish to a new 90g so I think my anerobic cycle (DSB) got wiped out.

Exchanging water daily and skimming like crazy.

New 90g (bought used and combined 33g and 65g)

Notice hair algae bloom on rocks

Also, what are you doing to fight the nitrates?

My current nitrate fighting gear
Auqafuge refugium with chaeto
4" sandbed in main
5-7" sandbed in fuge under tank with chaeto (30g)
Remora pro and remora regular both running
Sugar
Vodka

Last edited by fantastic4; 12/03/2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12/03/2007, 12:15 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

I wouldn't call it an angel tank, but I have a juvi blue face and a flame angel in one of my tanks -- along with a lot of SPS, and as of last Thursday my nitrates were at 0.

Do weekly 5 gallon water changes (( 75 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump )). Have an ASM 1GX skimmer and some caulapera ( sp ) in my fuge.
Old 12/03/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Toddrtrex, I am also trying Amquel Plus, it says it removes nitrates. Using as emergency nitrate remover. I'm replacing about 5 gallons every two days, it's not making a dent. May have to replace 50% of the water, but heard it may shock the residents. Hoping I can get away with vodka doses (it did bring my ppm down 100ppm, and I have noticed nitrogen bubbles being released from the sand, it has been two weeks now of dosing)
Old 12/03/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

I have a bllue face and flame too, and have been doing 35% weekly changes for 4 or 5 weeks in a row, and still have 80+ppm. If I can get it down to 40 I'd be happy. I have 2 lousy skimmers and a bunch of LR, but do have one of those aquaripure XL units on the tank and just started it up 2 .5 weeks ago so hopefully it will get going in another few weeks and start helping out. I add 15ml of vodka to that once a week.
Old 12/03/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

danorth, please post progress as you fight your nitrates.

I have also set my Remora Pro skimmer to lowest setting (wet) and now it acts as water exchange unit (with drain tube on side). When I dose Vodka, it will take out 5gallons a night.

The water is super cloudy and full of junk (looks like phosphates), but the fish look happy so far. I also only feed good stuff.

Ocean Nutrician flakes formula 1 and 2, Kent Pellets, Nori, Frozen Mysis, etc. None of the cheap food, but I do tend to ensure my fish are well fed.
Old 12/03/2007, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Wow..i thought I was high at 50 and I have been using de nitrate in a reactor and it seem to working a little as lately.

220 I didn't think they can survive that high.