Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2007, 09:49 AM
TOTM 2010

recommend a phosphate remover

I've had a red algae outbreak I'd like to beat. Between some overfeeding on my part and some dsb stirring issues I now have red slime in my display tank. I've doubled my water changes and would like to use the phosphate remover that will cause the least amount of harm to my tank. I have a 210g tank and the most I water I can change out at once would be 40-50 gallons (even that would be pushing it). I decreased the feeding to a minimum and now it's time for chemical help. I was thinking about chemiclean, but is there anything to it other then the 20% water change after use?
Old 12/03/2007, 11:24 AM
TOTM 2010

Aside from the twice a week water changes, I've decided to use chemi-clean. My tank's been running for about 3 years now, and I've done some light reading on the stuff. I know it's a bandage, not a solution, but I figure that once it's gone it won't come back (since I'm upping the water changes). My question now is about the airstone. Once I add this stuff to my tank, I shut down my skimmer. How long and why an airstone? Do I also have to shut down any of my powerheads?
Old 12/03/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

Chemi-pure elite or Phos-ban, or a combination of both. I had the same problem. I can't afford to use distilled water all the time and buy a bunch of chemicals to replace all the minerals to keep the chemistry balanced. I use tap water and use Chemi-pure, Phos-ban and Bio-chem together. Tank is clear, no more red hair or slime algae on my glass, rocks or substrate. I do have alot of green algae growth still, but that is due to the lights.
Old 12/03/2007, 12:14 PM
TOTM 2010

I use RO/DI water with a tds of 0. No regular algae just the red slime. I just want to make sure that I use this stuff properly, because I have a lot of sps and lps....
Old 12/03/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

I have SPS and LPS too, and aneomones, dusters, crabs, shrimp, scallops etc, they are doing great.

Last edited by Massengill; 12/03/2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12/03/2007, 12:58 PM
TOTM 2010

How long should I circulate the chemi-clean before I do the water change?
Old 12/03/2007, 12:58 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Jim
I use RO/DI water with a tds of 0. No regular algae just the red slime. I just want to make sure that I use this stuff properly, because I have a lot of sps and lps....
i would try other means before using chemiclean in a reef tank.
Old 12/03/2007, 01:00 PM
TOTM 2010

Quote:
Originally posted by twon8
i would try other means before using chemiclean in a reef tank.

I've had red slime in my fuge for a long time, but never in the display tank. My nitrates are undectable, and phosphates (of course) don't show up on the test kit. I don't have any other algae, but this stuff is terrible. I suck it out and a day later it's back again. I normally change 25 gallons a week. I just started doing 25 gallons 2x a week.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

Hey Jim, They are all the same thing except for size. All the Phosphate removers come from two companies and the Name Brand companies put there labels on it and sell it to us. If you want it in bulk go to TwoPartSolutions.com . Hope this helps.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:08 AM
RC Mod

I've used PhosBan and Phosphate Killer, and they seem fine. The Warner PhosAR HC has gotten a lot of good reviews, and I might try that next.
Old 12/07/2007, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Jim
I've had red slime in my fuge for a long time, but never in the display tank. My nitrates are undectable, and phosphates (of course) don't show up on the test kit. I don't have any other algae, but this stuff is terrible. I suck it out and a day later it's back again. I normally change 25 gallons a week. I just started doing 25 gallons 2x a week.
my fuge is covered in red slime too...something to do with a a very slow flow i would assume..

no slime in my display so i dont worry about it yet...i just wipe it off with a paper towel every WC...

i think once my phosban reactor is built i will be using the phosban product as well to help battle hair algae in my display...damn these fish and their puppy dog eyes...LOL...i have cut back on the feed now though..