Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/28/2007, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

One TOUGH Damsel

In a hobby where everything is so delicate, it is incredible what some fish can withstand.

First a little background...

I have a 100g reef set up in my livingroom and a DIY nano in the garage. Over the summer though, I had some heat issues in the garage tank and all of the frags I was growing out died. Temps were getting up into the high 90's! (They were all harvested from main tank though, so please don't get ****ed at me for "destroying the reef" or being irresponsible.)

The garage tank was also a pain to run with evaporation and stuff so the wife was always on me to shut it down. When I didn't see the one fish I had in there, a Blue damsel, for a few weeks I decided it was time. I shut everything down and transfered the hermets and snails to my main tank. And there everything sat for almost 2 months. That is until this weekend...

I was working on the hood for my main tank and needed to use the miter saw. In the process the lights were turned on for the old tank (Same power strip). About ten minutes later I looked up and the blue damsel I had thought was long dead is swimming around like nothing happened. Holy #@%^#$& thats impossible.

Needless to say, I turned the lights and pumps back on so that he can get back to normal, but he withstood 1/3 of the water evaporating, no lights, and water temps that ranged from the 90's back in September to the low 60's here in november. No food, no circulation... NOTHING.

What a trooper!!

Old 11/28/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

WOW! That is crazy! Most damsels are truely invincible! I had one damsel that went from normal 1.025 SG to a QT tank of 1.009 SG without any acclimation, never missed a beat!
Old 11/28/2007, 03:50 PM
Fish Wrangler

HOLY CRAP, now that's a good story!
380 FOWLR vlamingi 12", vlamingi 10", blonde naso 8", blue hippo 8", Sohal Tang 6", Purple Tang 5", Dussimer Tang 6", Clown Trigger 7.5", Picasso Trigger 2", Harlequin Tusk 6", Queen Angel 3.5; + more
Old 11/29/2007, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

Good Lord! I think you really should name him Lucky, that's astounding. I bet he lives to be 15 or 20 years old, holy cow.

I thought my South Seas damsel was pretty tough - when I bought her, she had a little scrape on her side that I assumed was the result of some overly-rough netting at the LFS. Within a day or two a hole opened up in her side, and I realized she had a NASTY bacterial infection. With no idea what the bacteria was I was shooting in the dark, but since she was swimming and behaving normally, and eating like a typical damsel, I tried lacing her food with Maracyn II because I had it on hand. I fed her pellets soaked in antibiotics three times a day, and within 5 days the infection was completely gone. Her colour and behaviour didn't change at all - other than a gaping hole in her side, you'd never have known she was sick.

Months later, I bought a Potter's angel that seemed to develop the exact same condition (different store, different tank - it was sheer coincidence). She refused food all together, didn't respond to meds in the water (I tried several), just hid and then died. I still have Jewel, the damsel - she's full grown now, about 2.5" long, FAT, beastly, and I love her to pieces. There's something endearing about these guys, and I think part of it is their ridiculous hardiness.
Old 11/29/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

Wow, that's a truly amazing fish .
Old 11/29/2007, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

omg thats all i have too say.
Old 11/29/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

She's been through all that and she is still in the garage tank? hehe, I'd have her picture enlarged and hang it above my inside tank and put her in it to show off my "Bionic Damsel". That is an awesome story.
Old 11/29/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Heisman Trophy or Hall of Fame nomination here!

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 11/29/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

i had a friend that accidentally put some dishwashing liquid in the tank and all his damsels were the first to float belly up~
Old 11/29/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ezcompany
i had a friend that accidentally put some dishwashing liquid in the tank and all his damsels were the first to float belly up~

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 11/29/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

hey do you have pic I can hang in my tank so my fish can have a role model of not dying.
:P lol
Old 11/29/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

I wonder what it sustained itself on for 2 months? Was there any algae or pods in the tank?
Old 12/02/2007, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Yeah im' curious :
1)What was it eating (regardless it must have thined out a lot).

2)1/3 water loss means quite a salinty increase.. no ?

3)What if the wife decided to mess with you and put a new damsel in

--Whats odd is that whenever i read about stories like this.. i dream about finding i've been keeping fish in my fridge and forgetting to feed them.
Old 12/02/2007, 09:42 AM
problem algae grower

what did you do with it?