Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 02:20 AM
Obsessed

Zestays 90G Build / planning thread

Ok after some serious thought. a 40 gallon breeder and a 1.66 gallon pico. its time to create my reef.

currently its in the planning stage, i have a handful of leftover equipment from my 40 breeder . and a tank on the way from the traders corner here.

Tank. 90g AGA, with black AGA stand. not RR but i will be drilling the side pane for a room divider set up.

Sump 30g AGA custom baffles into 3 sections. skimmer - fuge - return/topoff area

Skimmer.
I have a euroreef mock off its a needlewheel designed for 100 gallons. im going to look into adding a recirculating pump to it but who knows

LIGHT will be provided by one of two choices.
1. 760 watt aquatraders 48 inch light 2x 250 hqi 4x 65 watt PC. i had a 36 inch version on my 40 breeder and for the money, i couldnt complain. how ever i will make the following modifcations to the 48 inch light. upgrade the cooling fans. change the bulbs to 14k hamlitons or pheonix. and wire each of the CF lights to individual power cords. and i will run 7 timers to this light. 1 for each CF 1 for each MH and 1 for the moon lights.

option 2 buy a AGA canopy and create some sort of t5 + metal halide retrofit setup.

SALT . im fond of the red sea max designed for RO/di water

substrate - something heavy this time. not sure what exactly but im tired of the sand storm, yet i dont want to go barebottom
live rock. im welcome to suggestions

Rock. i dont like hitch hikers ( bubble algae ) so ill be making 90% of the rock for this tank, and use a few pieces of live rock to seed it.

Flow. 2 maxi jet 900s. 2 maxi jet 1200s on a wave maker that will supplement 2 korrilas ( not sure of the size korillas i want yet )that run 24/7

ATO will be a drip line of kalkwasser water

livestock!
inverts

2 peppermint shrimp
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 tiger banded serpent star
1 green bander serpent star
10 bumble bee snails
20 mexican turbos
10 cerith snails
10 nassauris snails
5-10 blue legged hermits
5- 10 red legged hermis

GBTA

Fish
tangs ( i probably need to axe one of these from the list )
1 Powder brown tang
1 yellow tang
1 kole tang

2 clowns either rods onxy or a pair of black false percs
1 scooter blenny
4 green chromis or 4 anthinas ( spelling? )
1 diamond back goby
1 six line wrasse
1 mystery / christmas tree wrase/ or some other cool looking wrasse
and either a midas or lawnmower or starry blenny

Corals.
Sps
some acros
i want to get my hands on a 20k leagues under the sea
a few monti caps

Since mylast tank didnt have any LPS i think im going to make them the focus of the tank
frogspawn
torch
hammer
candy canes.
all those goodies

misc zoas
and shrooms (zuma and ricordia )

feel free to comment and flame. and tang police please voice your opinion on 3 tangs in a 90 gallon.
Old 11/26/2007, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

Coming along for the ride
Old 11/27/2007, 03:55 AM
Premium Member

How about dead rock from Marco Rocks ? Don't really need to seed, there's enough dead material on the rock to start your first cycle. Afterwards, add critters from IPSF. No hitchhikers, just add what you want.
Old 11/27/2007, 08:13 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally posted by Rekonn
How about dead rock from Marco Rocks ? Don't really need to seed, there's enough dead material on the rock to start your first cycle. Afterwards, add critters from IPSF. No hitchhikers, just add what you want.
macro rocks are a maybe, however, creating my own rock allows me to easliy create rock pillars and collumms / rock walls / corner pieces . theres almost to many reasons to create my own that use ocean rocks. however im sure ill use some of each.

also can anyone reccomend drain size and a return pump ? ive only used submersable pumps in the past im curious if i should make the switch up to an external pump or stick with what i know. i see alot of people "dialing down" thier huge return pumps and that just eats up power.