Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

14 Gallons too small for a small six-line wrasse?

Is 14 gallons too small for a six line wrasse? It would probably be the only fish in the tank. I want it for their ability to eat coral pests.
Old 11/25/2007, 03:30 PM
Broke Reefer...

yeah, they requipre upwards around 25-30 as they are very active fish. they can also become very agressive in time.
Old 11/25/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Well like I said it will probably be the only fish.

Anyone else have an opinion on this? Would be nice to get more then one text book opinion.
Old 11/25/2007, 05:59 PM
Broke Reefer...

well i had one in a 37 and it was all over the place. it took my pod population out. before that it was in my 20H and it it took out all the pods i had...even with my fuge. it ate every shrimp that i put in there. i didn't mean to make it sound like a "text book opinion". i was just sharing my experience that it was very agressive with my inverts, and it left my clown alone, but took off after the gobies that i had. good luck.
Old 11/25/2007, 06:07 PM
Why? Because I can

I think you need a larger tank. they are very active and require pods to feast on.
Old 11/25/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by everl0ng
well i had one in a 37 and it was all over the place. it took my pod population out. before that it was in my 20H and it it took out all the pods i had...even with my fuge. it ate every shrimp that i put in there. i didn't mean to make it sound like a "text book opinion". i was just sharing my experience that it was very agressive with my inverts, and it left my clown alone, but took off after the gobies that i had. good luck.
Appreciate the opinion! Thanks.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

I'v had a 6-line in my 12gallon nano for well over a year now. I'm sure a lot of people will tell me how irresponsible I am and how I'm terrible for the hobby and how I should just shoot myself in the face right now. But either way, he seems very happy and swims all through my rockwork and gets along amazingly well with my blue damsel and clownfish. Just my experience!
Old 11/25/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

I had one in a 10 gal. for six months, and then in a 20 gal. for nine months, and she is currently in my 90 gal. for two months now.

Regardless of what size tank my sixline has been in it swims the entirety of the tank in and out of the rocks all day looking for reef bugs.

Mine did fine in the smaller tanks, but every night about an hour before the lights go out, she does laps around the tank for 15-30 minutes as fast as she can possibly swim. She did this in all of the tanks, but it seems like she does it for a longer period of time now that she is in the 90 and has more room.
Old 11/26/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonebrake
I had one in a 10 gal. for six months, and then in a 20 gal. for nine months, and she is currently in my 90 gal. for two months now.

Regardless of what size tank my sixline has been in it swims the entirety of the tank in and out of the rocks all day looking for reef bugs.

Mine did fine in the smaller tanks, but every night about an hour before the lights go out, she does laps around the tank for 15-30 minutes as fast as she can possibly swim. She did this in all of the tanks, but it seems like she does it for a longer period of time now that she is in the 90 and has more room.
How could you tell it was a she? I did not know they were a dimorphic species!
Old 11/26/2007, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

*LOL* It could be a male for all I know. I set up the 10 gal. as a gift for my wife for her office and my wife named "her" Lucy, so I just assume she is a she. She has an attitude with the other fish like a woman so I think my wife was right.
Old 11/26/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonebrake
*LOL* It could be a male for all I know. I set up the 10 gal. as a gift for my wife for her office and my wife named "her" Lucy, so I just assume she is a she. She has an attitude with the other fish like a woman so I think my wife was right.
Fair enough!

This single fish is the only thing in the whole hobby that interests my girl friend!! She is so in love with it and so desperate for one she will not even consider any of the alternatives. It is the craziest thing I have ever witnessed. Maybe I should just upgrade to a 29 gallon. The thing is I hate to go up to a 29 gallon and only be able to have one fish. We have had them in the past in a 60 gallon and a 20 Long with sump but everyone we had would not tolerate any roomies! They were incredibly aggressive! I like the idea of getting one for bug control though!
Old 11/26/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Got all your other fish first, then add the 6-line last. I did that with my 12gal nanocube, and it never got aggressive with any of my other fish. If you never give it a chance to become territorial, it gives you a better shot.