Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/24/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

casting net

Hello all,

In the last week I have found two of my little wafes in the returns. Luckily I have been able to retrieve them. I think they jump (one wrasse and one blenny) when playing and end up there. Anyway I know their luck is going to run out and I'll find them on the floor all dried up and dead. I was thinking of getting a casting net with small vinyl weights (so the lead does not contaminate the water) hooking the net to my hood (with little hooks) and letting the weighted end hang just below the water line. This would not interfere with anything and would cause them to safely slide back down into the water when they jump. Will this work?
Old 11/24/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

your lights will deteriorate the monofilament line what i have heard and seen that works the best is putting the light grating or eggcrate over the top of your tank. they jump hit it and fall back in
Old 11/24/2007, 02:23 PM
Conforming Non-Conformist

Check out this thread.
Old 11/24/2007, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

buy a screen kit that will more than accomodate your tank space (from home depot) and then go to the garden section and buy a product called bird stop. you basically make a screen that doesn't interfere w/ light and is lightweight. I have one on my tank and I don't worry about critters jumping out.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 11/24/2007, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

conesus, you beat me to it!

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 11/24/2007, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

I used the black fiberglass screen material and put up "curtains" on the back of my hood. It has saved at least one fish that I know of.

I also have acrylic lids on my overflows.

Stu
Old 11/24/2007, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

Yup, that top that Gary made appears to work very well.

I have a full length overflow and shrimp tend to find their way to the sump. I never get around to building a guard to prevent it.
Old 11/24/2007, 07:09 PM
Conforming Non-Conformist

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
Yup, that top that Gary made appears to work very well.

I have a full length overflow and shrimp tend to find their way to the sump. I never get around to building a guard to prevent it.
I have an "almost" full-length overflow, and have had my YWG take too many trips to the sump. I picked up a roll of plastic gutter guard at Lowes, trimmed it so it's a tad bigger than the front to back depth of the overflow, and wedged it in.

I do see that an occasional snail makes it down, but no fish.

I think the 25 foot roll was less than $4.
Old 11/24/2007, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

My fear is a that my blenny (who has taken the trip a few times) would find his way onto the screen and into the corner where he would dry out.

I don't mind the snails, most of them don't fit into the intakes anyway. The shrimp and blenny can find their way to the sump.

I have a plan but have not taken the time to implement it. The water going over my weir is not more than 1/16" thick. I plan to build a guard that simply rests on the trim and narros the gap to about 1/32" above the overflow water. I build a crude mock-up that proved the concept would work... I just don't have the time to build it right.

Thanks for trying to help though