Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/22/2007, 08:16 PM
Moved On

Placing Zoanthids Into the Tank

I just ordered some and i was just wondering how to place the frags onto the rock? I've read up on it and some people glue them on and others jus stick it to the rock for a minute. I just want to be sure what are the right procedures to doing this. I will be receiving about 20 polyps and this will be my first time attempting to put them in my tank.
Old 11/22/2007, 08:21 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

more then likely they arrive will mounted.

if not use a small amount of super glue gel to mount them to live rock rubble, frag mounts, etc.
Old 11/22/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

Glue them to something, otherwise you will be picking them off the sand every day. like me.
Old 11/22/2007, 11:35 PM
Moved On

What kind of super glue doe you suggest? Just any kind or should i purchase a specific one from somewhere?
Old 11/22/2007, 11:39 PM
"Lurker"

Quote:
Originally posted by hybridgenius
What kind of super glue doe you suggest? Just any kind or should i purchase a specific one from somewhere?
I prefer Super Glue gel purchased from Walmart or your local hardware store.
Old 11/23/2007, 01:04 AM
Aquarium Addict

Super glue gel.
Old 11/23/2007, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

Be careful that the superglue doesn't contact the flesh of the coral - just the rock or whatever material the coral is mounted on. I have heard that cyanoacrylate (superglue) heats up considerably as it cures in water, and that this can burn a coral.

If you don't want to glue them down, they will eventually grow (if they do well) off of their mount and attach to whatever lies beyond - provided, of course, that they don't get constantly knocked around as small zoanthid frags often do.

I just discovered that sometimes "dollar" stores will sell cyanoacrylate (SuperGlue brand, even) for tons cheaper than the big box stores, so you might want to look around.
Old 11/23/2007, 03:34 AM
Premium Member

rubber band the frags to a piece of rubble, shell, etc. in about two or three weeks, they will be attached to the item...
Old 11/23/2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

I agree, Get a rock and some old netting or something similar. Place the frags on the rock and loosly place the netting over the rock and rubberband it down.

I owuld wear gloves, they can sting you. Some have allergic reactions to the sting,depending on your reaction they can send you to the hospital.
Old 11/23/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Some use the netting off the strawberry baskets. Some use superglue gel. Some use rubber bands. Each all work. rubber band takes a while to connect. The strawberry net works takes about the same as the ruber band. The super glue gel is about the fastest. Use a small piece of rubble put a dab of gel on it then place the frag you want to the rubble. then place it in the tank you want. the water will quick set the gel.
Old 11/23/2007, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

You can get the most generic gels too. I know at the home depot here that if you get the gel in the packaging with spanish on it that it's about half the price of the 3m branded stuff, but it's chemically the same.

And be real careful with zoo's. My buddy got squirt in the eye while he was handling a zoo and it caused him to have facial paralysis and all kinds of bizarre medical conditions for 3 weeks.