Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Nano Cube HQI or Red Sea Max?

Does anyone know what would be better to buy, the 28 gal Nano Cube 150 watt HQI ($620 with stand), or the 34 gal Red Sea Max ($750 with stand)? I have not heard great things about the skimmer perfomance from either, but overall I've heard good things about the Max. I haven't heard much at all about the Nano Cube though.

Thanks!
Old 11/21/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

I vote for the Nanocube even though I love the looks and the size of the Max. My reasoning is the lights that are in the Max...they are PC lights not T-5 in the traditional sense. They are just small diameter PC's. You will have VERY limited lighting options with the Max.

Again my vote...Nanocube with Nanotuners.com actinic upgrade.
Old 11/21/2007, 04:58 PM
Zoa Fanatic

Nano Cube.
Old 11/21/2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

I have had a nano cube 12dx for a while now, and for the most part have liked it, but the problems to me were that it was way too small for my liking, and it would cost a fortune to upgrade.

As far at the 28 gal, the price of the nano from nano customs with the actinic mod is only $50 more. From them, the stand and tank with actinics is $680 ($10 more for the stand) but to buy the 150w HQI and actinic add on for the Max is another $470. The skimmer in the Nano cube looks like a joke though, has anyone had any experience with it?
Old 11/21/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

go with the nano cube way better lighting
Old 11/21/2007, 09:32 PM
clams are your friends.

I've got a NanoCube HQI and I love it. The Red Sea tanks are nice but the lighting on the NC HQI takes the prize, especially if you install the nanotuners retrofit kit. The JBJ HQI also has an open compartment in the back that is transparent so it's super-easy to create a lighted refugium back there. No additional plumbing required.
Old 11/21/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Location: Holiday Inn Express or my AVIS Rental Car (Algonquin on the weekends)
I have the Nano cube 28 and love it too. My skimmer seems to work just fine. Better lighting, Better return design, Upgrade capabilities without cutting your hood. Im running a phosban reactor with carbon and phosban and the only thing i had to do was replace the plastic return tubing with some a little longer. I was debating the same thing a couple months ago and Im glad i went the way I did.

This is my custom fuge light

Old 11/21/2007, 11:10 PM
Zoa Fanatic

The more yellow clownfish is beautiful! Exactly what I'm looking for as a showpiece for my nanocube 12.
Old 11/21/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Location: Holiday Inn Express or my AVIS Rental Car (Algonquin on the weekends)
Yeah he will eventually be like the bigger one. the bigger one was the first fish I bought going on nine years ago. The smaller one I bought just a month ago.

I would honestly go with the nanocube. I have no complaints but I cannot fit my hand down into the back chambers so I have to have my 7 year old son do some stuff for me.

If you need some better pictures or some pictures of exact things just let me know.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Could someone post a pic of the refugium compartment? Curious how you set it up. Did you remove anything or what did you have to add?

Thanks
Old 12/13/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Nano Cube 150 watt HQI