Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/19/2007, 09:12 PM
SPAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRTAAAAAA

Funny question???

Alright, I was sitting in class today not paying attention to what I was supposed to be (boring inland freshwater fish) and I totally stumped myself with this question: Can any clownfish be hosted by a jellyfish? I mean, clowns and some other damselfish are hosted by all sorts of cnidarians right? (i know more specifically Anthazoans) But is it possible? I know for a fact that some anemone stings are stronger than some jelly stings...so what do you guys and gals think???

Thanks,
-Sam
Old 11/19/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

I don't think any clownfish can be hosted by jellyfish because clownfish is not immune to jellyfish's sting.
Old 11/19/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

I can't speak to the issue of sting strength, but common sense tells me:
The deal with clowns and anemones is that it is a symbiotic relationship, both sides benefit. There is no benefit to the jelly to have a fish tagging along all over the ocean. Since jellys are not designed/evolved/whatever to be attended to by a fish I doubt it would allow that to happen.

I believe that most jellys only live about a year anyway, so it would make a real gypsy out of the clownfish.
I suppose it could be possible if you could get the jellyfish to stay in one place. They don't do that you know. As a matter of fact, they seem to prefer to lie on the beach where I live
Old 11/19/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

what about during the polyp stage?
Old 11/19/2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

jelly fish polyps a quite small, it is an interesting question, and there are some jellys that actually do have symbiotic relationships with a certain species of small fish, unfortunately i cant give any details (species names, locations of species etc.) but i do remember watching it on the discovery channel. Maybe someone who knows more or is willing to take the time to look it up could chime in with more info.
Old 11/19/2007, 10:36 PM
I'm Addicted!!

Nemo didn't seem to like the jellies to well.
Old 11/21/2007, 01:58 AM

haha...no nemo didnt like them. But alot of jellies dont actively swim in the open ocean. That is they kind of just drift. So ya that complicates things for a potential hosting situation....but i dont think it rules it out.
Jeweldamsel: If memory serves me right, there isnt much difference between a jelly sting and an anemone sting. both of them are simply different types of cnidocysts firing into a prey item, so i dont see why some clown wouldnt be unaffected by a jelly sting.

Barbra: Why wouldnt there be a symbiotic relationship? at least in my head, it would be the same deal. the jelly provides protection and the clown can collect extra food just like it does for anemones. improbable i know.....but i've seen clowns try to host in more unlikely things.
Old 11/21/2007, 08:27 PM

wow no one else huh?
Old 11/21/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

could a jelly host a clown?....prolly.....but it would never happen...
Old 11/21/2007, 10:26 PM

ya, figured if i hadnt seen it yet it prolly doesnt happen often, if at all. ...But i was really hoping someone has seen it and could cinfirm my thoughts.