Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2007, 11:03 PM
SCMAS Member

Angry Tangs dying one by one.

This all started about 5 days ago when my blonde naso tang started holding in one spot in the tank and not eating the way he usually does. I a matter of three days he was dead, with no signs of external disease. His respiratory was normal until the last few hours. Two days later the same thing happened to my Tenneti Tang of two years. All tank perameters are very normal and no real changes in the tank other than a few frags from our frag swap.

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so, what was your treatment. Tonight I have noticed my Yellow Tang of four years starting down the same path and I am at wits end.
Old 11/19/2007, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

i had same probably only when the first 2 months..however, i was very upset so i did many things and somehow the fish just stopped dying.

i kinda moved around the rock, run the ozone, UV and
ALOT carbon.

BUT right now, i have one bluejaw that i have for about 2 months, and 2 weeks ago he stop eating, and hes being hiding for 4 days not even coming out at all...so i hope the same thing is not happening again.
Old 11/19/2007, 02:16 AM
Our man in the East

Has any toxins accidentally enterd the tank - maybe some metal. I would do a couple of large w/c, run carbon and UV. Take a sample of water to a good LFS and get it fully tested for toxins aswell as the usual.
Old 11/19/2007, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

"other than a few frags from our frag swap" I think that is the key. Probably introduced some type of parasite. Common ones I see are ich, velvet and flukes.

Remove the fish and do a FW dip in a clear container. Check the bottom of the container. "Dust" like particles means velvet, "jelly" like things is flukes and nothing may be ich.
Old 11/19/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

I agree, Pull the frags out and do a freshwater dip.. Probably brought in a parasite.. Always quaratine new items... you just never know,,, Painful to lose things just like that.... Good Luck
Old 11/19/2007, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like flukes, but I did not know that they can hitchhike on coral frags....is that accurate? When I did my tank upgrade, some of the bigger healthier fish came down with a phantom disease much like what was originally described. I did FW dips too late and still lost them, however they did have gill flukes. The process was longer prior to the fish death. Mine lost their color and started swimming/darting around the tank and then would hide.

"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."

Jack Kerouac
Old 11/19/2007, 01:55 PM
Moved On

Ummmmm not trying to be stupid, but is a freshwater dip is just like its stated? Dipping whatever it is in freshwater? and if so... how long? I've never done it, but im sure its helpful to know.
Old 11/19/2007, 04:47 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Freshwater dip is a little more involved that just dipping the fish in a bucket of water.

You have to get the temp. as close as possible, match ph as well.

Do not do freshwater dips with SPS. Most corals will not do well with freshwater dips.
Old 11/19/2007, 06:45 PM
SCMAS Member

Don't flukes cause accelerated breathing. In the case of the Tenenti Tang he was breathing normally right to the end.