Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2007, 04:43 PM
Frag-a-holic

Bubbling tip tissue

On one of my Milleporas the other night I noticed that 2 of the tips were kind of bubbling up. Like the tissue was coming away from the skeleton. The next day, it was back to normal. What could have caused this and is it something to be concerned about? I know a pic would help, but it is ok now so I can't get a pic.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 11/18/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member.

I'm taking it your run higher alkalinity, that's above at least 8. I run my in the 9.6 range constantly, I have noticed at higher alk levels, your tissues is soft on the new growth. If you didn't touch the coral a fish or invert, must have bumped into it. I had this happen one day being clumsy and I knocked my 7 inch eflo over and the tissue where it hit hardest swole up, at that point, I went to move it, and I did notice how incredibly soft the outer growth was. Over time with high alk levels, the new growth hardens as it proceeds to grow. however for the time being the new growth is actually very soft due to elevated alk levels. This is what happened to me in my experience, probably the same thing that happen to you. except a fish hit it, and in my case it was clumsy ol me. My Scott's fairy sometimes hits it also, as he is quite a clumsy fish. Hope this helps you solve your problem, well not so much a problem, just the way things are when you have elevated alk levels.

Happy hollidays.
Old 11/18/2007, 08:14 PM
Frag-a-holic

I run it at around 3.4 meq/l I dont know what that translates into Dkh. The coral seems to be doing really well, so I guess I wont worry about it. Thanks for the reply.

Old 11/18/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

I have a pink one that has had bubbles on and off ever since I got it about 5 months ago. It is still alive and kickin for what its worth. Does it look like this?

Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 11/18/2007, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

I read some threads about this where it turned out to be related to low magnesium levels FWIW
Old 11/19/2007, 09:42 AM
Frag-a-holic

Mcliffy, that is pretty much what it looks like. My mag is at 1300 so I don't think it is low. Not where I would like it, but not really low.

Old 11/19/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Canarygirl
I read some threads about this where it turned out to be related to low magnesium levels FWIW
Do you have a link to any of these threads by chance? I am dealing with the same issue.
Old 11/19/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandeGixxer
Mcliffy, that is pretty much what it looks like. My mag is at 1300 so I don't think it is low. Not where I would like it, but not really low.
Then wouldn't worry too much, at least based on my experience. that pic was 5 months ago, and the coral is doing fine now (bubbles occasionally come and go, but it keeps growing).
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 11/20/2007, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

This isn't the original one where I read about it but this came up when I did a search on "low magnesium bubble tips"

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=728407&highlight=low+magnesium+bubble+tips
Old 11/20/2007, 10:04 AM
HELP SLOW

I have this issue in my tank from time to time. For me it is not ALK (I keep mine near 8dKH) or MAG (1300+) related.

I have posted in other threads regarding this issue and there have never been any definitive answers to why this happens. It does seem to correct itself and the corals are fine.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 11/20/2007, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kirstenk
I have this issue in my tank from time to time. For me it is not ALK (I keep mine near 8dKH) or MAG (1300+) related.

I have posted in other threads regarding this issue and there have never been any definitive answers to why this happens. It does seem to correct itself and the corals are fine.
I also have seen that on my Millie's.
Old 11/20/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Canarygirl
This isn't the original one where I read about it but this came up when I did a search on "low magnesium bubble tips"

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=728407&highlight=low+magnesium+bubble+tips
Thanks!!!