Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Current Nova Extreme T5HOx2

I have an Oceanic 30 gallon cube, it is roughly 20 inches cubed. I was looking for a decent lighting system for it, I found a T5HO system by Current that is only 18 inches wide. Does anyone have any first hand info or use of this product?

http://www.current-usa.com/novaextremet5hox2.html
It measures 18" x 4.25" x 1.5"

Most of the T5 units start at 24 inches, in my case this is too wide.

I was thinking of placing two of these fixtures above the tank.

Thoughts, opinions? Anyone aware of another T5HO fixture that is 20 inches? Does anyone else make bulbs that will fit this fixture?

Old 11/16/2007, 07:54 PM
One Good Friend

Why not get one 250w mh with a good reflector
Old 11/16/2007, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

While I have considered the MH route, I like the electric draw of the T5HO. I have not ruled out the MH, but am leaning towards the T5 system.
Old 11/16/2007, 09:19 PM
One Good Friend

I prefer T5's as well but its going to be tough to find a decent t5 fixture for such a strange size tank. The light you have above isn't to hot as its one generic reflector and your going to be very limited on bulb choice. Maybe hang a 24" fixture above it, would that be possible?
Old 11/16/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

I have a 48 inch 216-watt T5 Current fixture on the tank at work and now one at home and I am very happy with them. I don't think you can beat the price and the light output you get for the price. Keeping a clam in one of the tanks, it's happy.
Old 11/16/2007, 10:33 PM
One Good Friend

Yea, you may be ok with lps, not to sure about sps unless you keep them very high in your tank. Softies no prob. The problem like mentioned before is the bulb's for that size are very limited and if current bulb's are all your going to be able to get that isn't to great as they have mid to below par bulb's imo. I still think a MH would be ideal.....or if you could get a 24" fixture with individual reflectors.
Old 11/16/2007, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

the 24" fixture is actually "possible." I have this fixture (only 4x24) and had it on my 45g cube, it's 24" wide so it fit perfectly, but the Nova's have plastic feet that come with them and the track that they go into runs the whole length of that fixture, so you'd just have to adjust the feet in a little. You'd have a little bit of unused bulb, but who cares if the light fixture is in your price range and will do what you want. I upgraded my stuff to a 4x24 IceCap retro. It's much brighter w/ the individual reflectors.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 11/16/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Re: Current Nova Extreme T5HOx2

Quote:
Originally posted by daytonreefRob
I have an Oceanic 30 gallon cube, it is roughly 20 inches cubed. I was looking for a decent lighting system for it, I found a T5HO system by Current that is only 18 inches wide. Does anyone have any first hand info or use of this product?

http://www.current-usa.com/novaextremet5hox2.html
It measures 18" x 4.25" x 1.5"

Most of the T5 units start at 24 inches, in my case this is too wide.

I was thinking of placing two of these fixtures above the tank.

Thoughts, opinions? Anyone aware of another T5HO fixture that is 20 inches? Does anyone else make bulbs that will fit this fixture?

[IMG]http://www.current-
usa.com/repository/page_graphics/NovaExtremex2/NovaExtreme_Salt_Bottom.jpg[/IMG]

I have been looking at that same 18" T-5 light on the web. I have a 18" cube and a 24" standard 4x24 watt light would really hang over. I thought about 2 of the 2x18 watt Current lights.
The other option is a modified 96 watt power quad with an additional 40 watt PC bulb. I can fit all that into a modified Coralife quad fixture.
Both ideas have a very limited number of bulb types. I have to believe the 96 +40 watt PC has to be brighter than 80 watts of t-5. I can't use a MH because of the space above the tank is only 4" and the lights must set directly on top of the cube--no legs.
Old 11/16/2007, 11:26 PM
One Good Friend

If you ran a 4x24 t5 it would be more light and much better par and penetration than the 136w of the PC. If the t5's have individual reflectors that is.
Old 11/17/2007, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

The light would be hanging off the tank by 1/3 the width of the tank. Not something I want. Why have the extra bulb length and extra watts just lighting the floor??
Old 11/17/2007, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

How about this:
The average published PAR/watt for a T5 is a maximum of 90.
The average published par/watt for PC is 65.

4x24x90=8640 PAR for the T5.
136x65=8840 PAR for the PC.

The T5 is more efficient, with more light/watt energy, but the PC has more watts so the output is ~the same.

With unusual size/style tanks we sometimes have to make our own. Don't be afraid to use a saw and soldering gun. R
Old 11/17/2007, 01:27 AM
Premium Member

Have you taken a look at the Sunpod's?
I just bought the same tank you have and I am going to get the Sunpod 1160.

B
Old 11/17/2007, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

Without indivdual reflectors and active cooling, you won't get much light out of these units. Try looking at a ATI powermodule.

Jeff
Old 11/17/2007, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

Those ATI fixtures do look very nice. I am in need of a 20 inch fixture though, it appears they start at 24 inches.
Old 11/17/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

The 24" powermodule is actually only 23" wide. I wouldn't be worried about some overlap on the sides of the tank. All 24 watt T-5 bulbs should be the same lenght, making the actual lite part the same between the powermodule and the nova. I looked at getting a Nova when I first started out. I ended up getting a retro kit from reefgeek and have no regrets. If you plan on having corals, lights is one place it doesn't make sense to try to save money.