Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 01:45 AM
Premium Member

Anyone w/experience using Reef Ceramics vs. Aragocrete(?) in sps dominated tank?

I remember reading a few comments here and there, but get these two mixed up. Are they made out of the same material but from different manufacturers?

I thought I recall something about prolonged cycle or water quality issues? Is this better for fish only tanks?

I'm looking to use the large pieces to cover back wall of the tank.

Would pond foam be a better option?

Thanks in advance for the input.....
Old 11/16/2007, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

I too recall reading about the back plates of the Reef Ceramics leaching phosphates into the tank and people having issues from it. I believe someone with a TOTM had pulled them after having issues with them as well. I went with the pond foam instead!

Proud Member of CMAS & Rockford Reefers
Old 11/16/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Do not use them. My friend had them in his tank and had nothing but bad issues with them. leached out PO4 and trates and caused bleaching. Then another guy from my other forum started his tank out with them and had a ton of issues with them and his corals.
Old 11/16/2007, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback, is this specific to Reef Ceramics or does this also apply to the aragocrete (ORA?)

Sara, did you use any sand on your pond foam? Would the only reason to include sand with pond foam be to increase the weight?
Old 11/16/2007, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

I have not heard anything about the aragocrete.

No, I didn't add sand or anything else to my pondfoam. Some do it to add texture or change the color of it. In the end it all gets covered with coralline algae and turns purple, so I didn't see the point to waste the extra steps.

Do you have a glass tank or an acrylic? Also, if you are going to the CMAS Swap this Saturday, we can speak in person too. LMK.

Proud Member of CMAS & Rockford Reefers
Old 11/16/2007, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Thanks again Sara. I was thinking of cutting out acrylic template of the back, covering that with pondfoam, and then sliding that over the existing back. That way, I can take it all out if I wanted to.

For some reason, I thought adding the sand was to keep some parts of the foam from floating away? I think I saw someone trying to use the foam+live rock, and when he picked up the foam, it would just crumble. I figured the sand would help it stay a bit more solid.

The tank will be acrylic. Unfortunately, I will not be attending the swap. However, thank you for offering to talk to me more about it, much appreciated!
Old 11/16/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Me neither I am talkin about the RC only
Old 11/16/2007, 02:18 PM
More than meets the eye

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=993625
Old 11/19/2007, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

I've got them in my tank. I've had some strange algae problems but after about 2 years it has started to get better. I'm not sure if it was the ceramics or poor maintence on my part.

Old 11/19/2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

I am just offering my opinion that problems could very by batch, depending on how the ceramic was fired.
Old 11/19/2007, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Mike, looks very nice in your tank!

Thanks for the link, I started reading it and need to finish. I was leaning towards pond foam...but I could have sworn there were complaints about long term integrity with the foam (breaking apart and floating away).

I didn't get the aragocrete correct, I think it's GARF that makes it.