Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/15/2007, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Bellus Angel

I would really like to include an angel in my reef tank, and since most or all dwarfs are prone to nip, I found the bellus angel which is part of the genicanthus family which are coral friendly.

My concern is say i purchase a 3" bellus, He could live in my 40g stretch hex for awhile, but how soon would you guess i would have to move him to my 75? Or would this cause just to much stress in general, the bellus is one of the smaller genicanthus and grows to less than 6" some say as small as 5", which would be likely in an aquarium setting i might guess. But first and foremost I do not want a stressed fish getting sick, so I will avoid it if all the recommendation leads to don't do it. I have a larger dwarf in the 40g for some time and he did fine, until i introduces corals, then... he is down stairs in my other 40g.

let me know, input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11/15/2007, 09:24 PM
Our man in the East

Genicanthus are fairly slow growing. However, as they are not grazers they tend to swim around a lot more than dwarfs and so need space to be truly happy. Is there any reason why you can't put the Bellus straight into your 75g.
Old 11/15/2007, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

40g is my main reef, 75 is in the basement :/
Old 11/16/2007, 01:08 AM
Our man in the East

Seeing as you have an option of moving it to a larger tank you could try it in the 40g (though, I still think it is too small). If it doesn't seem happy then you can move it. It shouldn't cause it too much stress and wouldn't need a second quarantine if the 40g is healthy. They are beautiful fish. I have a pair of Blackspot.
Old 11/16/2007, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

I have a 4" Bellus in my 90G, and it is constantly roaming the entire tank, end to end. I would advise against adding a Bellus to a 40G tank. It won't be happy, and you won't get to watch it swim, which is cool. Mine uses her forked tail to tweak her position all the time, and she does it by moving the top fork opposite of the bottom fork.

I can vouche for the coral safe-ness of this angel though. Mine has been a model citizen.
Old 11/16/2007, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

How bout aggression? does she attack smaller fish tech? or has she been a pretty good tank mate? (what else is in your tank?)
Old 11/16/2007, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

The one positive about my 40g is there is a good variety in the rock work, lots of openings, vertical and horizontal structure to swim around, so if i do go with one there are many places to swim through/under/around/over.
Old 11/16/2007, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

The rock work isn't going to do much for the fish. These are primarily open water planktivores. They need lots of length to swim and a good current that is going to push O2 rich water across the gills.

Carl
Old 11/16/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

I agree about putting her into the larger of the two tanks. I have my in a 90G and she swims the entire tank. I would hate to put her in anything smaller.
Old 11/16/2007, 10:51 PM
Our man in the East

Retrospectively I have to agree with the other replys. Don't put her in the 40g. Its too small.
Old 11/16/2007, 11:18 PM
Reefer

I have to agree that the 40 is too small for this size angel. They are reef safe though, as I have several of the Genicanthus species (one female Bellus, a pair of Japanese Swallowtails and two female Watanabeis') in my reef tank.

Joyce
Old 11/17/2007, 08:42 AM
Our man in the East

Quote:
Originally posted by Macimage
I have to agree that the 40 is too small for this size angel. They are reef safe though, as I have several of the Genicanthus species (one female Bellus, a pair of Japanese Swallowtails and two female Watanabeis') in my reef tank.

Joyce
Do you find there is aggression between the different fish. I am considering adding another from the Genus but don't want WW3 breaking out.
Old 11/17/2007, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Yes, there is aggression but it may be manageable in a larger tank. Even my male and female G. bellus are not too happy with each other.

~Steve~
Old 11/17/2007, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Well, no bellus, ill be responsible on this one, prolly would have shown to much aggression even if it was comfortable in the 40 for a year. Maybe someday ill find a quarter sized one and grab it, heh. Thanks for the input. glad to hear from a few people that have them, sounds like a great reef angel for larger systems. Different color scheme too.
Old 11/17/2007, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

You ever been to the pittsburgh aquarium (at the zoo) Snorvich? they have an amazing sea dragon tank there. (one if pictured from there in my avatar). They also have the leafy variety shown in your avatar.