Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

A good reason why Anglers don't go with Fish

Ok, so I have had this cool looking little angler fish in my 18 gallon high frag tank and thats all that I have in there. My friend wanted to go with a wrasse tank only so he gave me his two firefish, so I thought, ehhh, no possible way that the anglerfish will be able to take down the firefish so I tossed them in my frag tank. Considering that the angler is only about the size of a quater(as seen in the picture) and the firefish were about the average 3.5" long fish, thought ehh no problem.

So, 5 days had passed until the 6th day when I turned on the lights to the tank and the fire fish were gone. Naturally they probably are hiding, having an 18 gallon tank, you can see all the hiding spots. So, didn't find any fish, well maybe they jumped out, nope.

Well... Ahhhh.... the Angler's Stomach, there they are....

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Size of Angler put next to a quater for reference

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Old 11/13/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

what a fatty
Old 11/13/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

wow. lesson learned.
Old 11/13/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Haha, yeah, it was dodgersfan25, I didnt really want them but I took them off his hands and I thought they would be fine, but they were just late night dinner for my angler.
Old 11/13/2007, 10:08 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

LOL.
I had an angler (about 1.5" long) and put a large lemonpeel dwarf angel (about 4-5")in with him as he was fighting with other fish in my large system...

The next day the angel was gone, I spent about a half hour checking the filters, carpet, etc. nothing. I figure there was no way the angel could fit in the angler's mouth...

The day after that, bright yellow poop on the bottom of the tank. LOL.
Old 11/13/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Haha, I cant wait for poop from the angler, I'll post pictures if I can.
Old 11/13/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

i think those fish are sooo ugly that they are cute. i kind want to set up a 24g aquapod with corals and an angler.
Old 11/13/2007, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

Ack! I hope he's okay - sometimes anglers don't know what's best for them, and a large meal can hurt them. He's a cutie, for sure

Sorry about the firefish - lesson learned, anglers are hunters, pure and simple. If it fits (or almost fits) in their mouth, they'll eat it.
Old 11/13/2007, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ACBlinky
Ack! I hope he's okay - sometimes anglers don't know what's best for them, and a large meal can hurt them. He's a cutie, for sure

Sorry about the firefish - lesson learned, anglers are hunters, pure and simple. If it fits (or almost fits) in their mouth, they'll eat it.

Yeah, me and my friend were talking about them before we put the firefish in the tank and we were like their is absolutely no way that the firefish could be eaten, to your suprise and mine it was.