Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2007, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

Three month old reef tank...

I've been lurking this section for a while and I thought I'd introduce myself and my system. I first caught the reef tank bug a few years ago and set up a 30 gallon fish with live rock tank in my condo. I would have preferred something bigger, but I had limited space. Due to getting married and moving into a new house, I had to give the tank to a friend. Well, I've been in the new house for a few years now, and I had the much needed space that I wanted to set up a bigger tank. A little over 3 months ago, I picked up a 75 gallon reef tank and stand at the local fish store, with the wife's approval of course. To start out, I only put about 30-40 pounds of live rock and about 2-3 inches of crushed coral and sand. Under the tank, I was running a home made sump/refugium that I had made out of a rubbermaid container. It served it's purpose, but I've since replaced it with a 38 gallon acrylic tank, which I modified myself. I set up a Miracle Mud system in the refugium with some live rock rubble and chaetomorpha macroalgae to filter the water. The tank is lightly skimmed with an AquaC Remora Pro hanging on my sump tank. I'm lighting the main tank with a 48" Nova Extreme T5 which has (4) 54 watt 460nm Actinic bulbs and (4) 54 watt 10000 K bulbs. I just added my final installment of live rock last night bringing the total to approx. 85 lbs. I've gradually added a Kole tang, 3 blue green chromis and 2 banghai cardinal fish to the tank. The substrate is patrolled and cleaned by assorted hermits, snails and 2 sand sifting starfish. Living in South Riverview, the selection of Fish Stores was slim to none, but I found a great new LFS right around the corner from where I live, so I'm sure I'll be adding more to my tank as time goes by. I won't mention it by name because I know there's a no advertising policy on the site. I'd like to get more active and meet other people who share my enthusiasm.
Old 11/13/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

I live in riverview also. Can you PM me the name of the fish store?

Thanks
Old 11/13/2007, 12:16 PM
smellthat? ya,that was me

pm me for xenia and anthelia frags if you want them.
Old 11/14/2007, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Welcome!!!!

I think everone here has that same enthusiasm you have. You are in the right place. there are alot of great reefers on this site.

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 11/14/2007, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

i'm in riverview also and i'll guess that lfs is aqua star. pm me if you ever need any help with anything. I live at blooming/301.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Actually, it's Life Oceanic on US 41 in Gibsonton. I live off Big Bend / 301, so I'm just down the road from you. I'll let you know if I have any questions. Thanks.
Old 11/14/2007, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Welcome !!!!
Can we see a pic of your system??? I love pics
Old 11/14/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shibumi
Welcome !!!!
Can we see a pic of your system??? I love pics
I have an early picture in my gallery. I'll be adding some updated pictures with all my rock in the tank, tonight.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

The pictures I took were too big to be hosted in the gallery. I uploaded them to a directory on my site.

http://www.srtsyndicate.com/tank/
Old 11/14/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

setup a photobucket account so you can post picture right on your thread

like this that way it is easier to view them.

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 11/14/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the great idea.

This was my tank on 8/15/07

My DIY sump/refugium

My tank after adding more rock 11/13/07
Old 11/14/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

This is the new sump/refugium that I made out of an acrylic tank

Some various macroalgae

Some zoanthids that I added over the last few weeks...

Old 11/15/2007, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

very nice but ... no protein skimmer?

Old 11/15/2007, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

It's located on the left side of my sump. It's a hang-on-back, Aqua-C Remora Pro. It's black, so it didn't show up very well in the picture. I think I have a Mag 5 pushing it and a Mag 12 running the tank.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

the filter you have at the return pump will block all the pods and goodies from your fuge from going to the main tank. kinda kills the purpose of the fuge.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

yup good point I didn't see that. I would remove the sponge on your return pump.

Old 11/15/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Great idea! Originally, I had it on as a safety precaution when I had the DIY sump. I was afraid some macro algae would get caught in the pump. Now that I have the baffles, I don't have to worry about that. Thanks.
Old 11/15/2007, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

Nice tank ... careful with the bubble algae. It can spread in your tank like crazy.
Old 11/15/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up on the bubble algae. I all ready picked a bunch of pearl kelp off two rocks. I'll attack the bubble algae next.