Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2007, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

Top up system

I'm looking for a reliable top up system for my 50 Gallon tank, basically the MH is causing evaporation and i need to keep the level stable... also the unit will go directly to the display tank as i don't have a sump...

I read about Aqua Medic Niveaumat, but seems to have some bad reviews... the Deltec is way too expensive (at least in Europe) and the Tunze osmolator is not a bad option but is not cheap either...

Any suggestions/recommendations ?

Thanks in Advance
Pablo
Old 11/09/2007, 08:50 AM
Charleston Reefer

Tunze is maybe the best option since it is really sensitive to water level changes. it won't let a lot of water into the display at one time. If you had a sump you could get away with a cheaper unit because the water could mix before going into the display.
Old 11/09/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Unfortunately... i don't have a sump and i'm not planning to get one either... any suggestion greatly appreciated
Old 11/09/2007, 09:50 AM
Charleston Reefer

then go with the tunze....
Old 11/09/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Tunze Osmolator gets my vote as well.

If money is tight, the AutoTopOff.com units work well, and are pretty reliable if you add the Low Voltage upgrade. But the Tunze is probably the safest, and worth the extra money if you have it.
Old 11/09/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

A simple siphon system and drip controller works wonders...
Old 11/12/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fishquaria
A simple siphon system and drip controller works wonders...
Please explain further.
Old 11/12/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Have a container, a bucket or whatever you like above the water line of the aquarium. Run one end of an airline tube into it. Get a drip controller and some tubing clips from the LFS. Start a siphon. Use the drip controller to control the drip rate. It'll take a bit of tweaking but ultimately you should be able to equate the drip rate and the evaporation rate at least approximately. So your water level remains constant. It is better to use a container with little height and more length and breadth and this will ensure that the drip rate does not change much with the level of water in the container. This system works fine on my 30gallon and I previously had to top off water every day. Now I have to refil the five gallon top off container every 3 to four days. I have had great success with this method and it cost me hardly 8 to ten dollars to build. Plus it does not use and electricity. Tell me if you want dome pics. I can email them to you. In my opinion, on aquaria, simple is always better.
Old 11/12/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Oh by the way you can have the top off container at a remote location from the tank if you want to or need to. Mine is about two to three metres away from my tank.
Old 11/12/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Oh and also (Excuse me for the multiple posts), my drip rate is on average one drop every 2 seconds.
Old 11/12/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

I vote Tunze. Just hooked it up this weekend and works great.
Old 11/12/2007, 02:24 PM
Moved On

Tunze Osmolator
Old 11/12/2007, 02:25 PM
Moved On

My vote is Tunze too! I love my unit.