Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/08/2007, 06:53 AM
Premium Member

Heater Explodes in Sump.

Have anyone had a heater to break or explode in their tank. I woke on Monday morning to find the skimmer going wild. At this point the lights were still off in the aquarium so I emptied the skimmer cup, adjusted the skimmer and went to work. Arriving home after work, I find the tank very milky. I assumed that the clam has spawned as it does sometime and this would clear up in an hour or so. The skimmer was still going wild. I also noticed that some of the coral seem to be affected...withdrawn and color bleaching. This had never happened before from the clam spawning. Fish appear ok but the clam is stressing. I immediately did a 20% water change and began running filters with charcoal. The next morning the water is fairly clean...maybe just a little fog. Coral still retracted, xenia pretty melted back. Continue to run filters with charcoal. The temperature here on Tuesday night dropped below freezing and on Wednesday morning I noticed the tank temperature was below what it normally is. I run a ReefKeeper. On inspection, I noticed that the heaters were not running. Pulled them out and found one was in several pieces. Now it all comes together. Other than running the extra filters and charcoal, I don't know what to do. Should I do more water changes. All the water parms. i.e. nitrates, nitrites and ammonium are good. Anybody experience this and any pointers for me.

Thanks for you feedback.
Old 11/08/2007, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

Keep doing what your doing, what brand of heater was it?
Old 11/08/2007, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

I had aheater explode in my refugium a while back. Lots of popping/hissing, strange sounds and a funky smell. I did several water changes and ran fresh carbon. Everything was OK but it was a bit unnerving. Best of luck to you. Do you have a poly filter on hand ???
Old 11/08/2007, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

bonerfortuna. It was a Visi-Therm. I called the company and complained a little. They said they were not meant to be used in a sump......go figure.

mg426. I using a hang on fresh water filter with dual filter bags with carbon. Glad I hung on to it when I moved to salt water.

I plan to do another water change soon but since the water parms were ok, I figure things will start getting back to normal or as close as possible. I think the coral slimmed with the initial shock thus fouling the water. The skimmer has calmed down a whole lot but not back to normal yet.
Old 11/08/2007, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

Anyone have an suggestions how long I should run the extra filtering and carbon. Don't the carbon remove elements needed by the coral...i.e iodine, etc?
Old 11/08/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

I would run the extra filters for aweek or so. Your corals will let you know when they are happy again. I geuss its better the err on the side of caution.
Old 11/08/2007, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dooleyb
bonerfortuna. It was a Visi-Therm. I called the company and complained a little. They said they were not meant to be used in a sump......go figure.
Ouch. I'm using a visi-therm stealth in my sump. Did they say why it can't be used in a sump? As long as it remains submerged I don't see what the difference is...
Old 11/08/2007, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Ouch. I'm using a visi-therm stealth in my sump. Did they say why it can't be used in a sump? As long as it remains submerged I don't see what the difference is...
It was the glass one that exploded. I think the stealth is more safe. That is what I replaced them with. They are saying not to use it in the sump because of the increased possibility of the heater being exposed.
The stealth will shut down automatically if exposed.
Old 11/08/2007, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Gotcha, thank you.
Old 11/08/2007, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

titanium heaters!! avoid the glass
Old 11/08/2007, 12:46 PM
stop the insults, please

I had a heater break once and mostly wipe a tank. I only use titaniums with a good controller now.
Old 11/08/2007, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

You still have to be careful with the titaniums. I have had the rubber cap on the end with the wire coming in get pushed back by some rock that fell. It did not hurt the fish but killed most of my snails before I started looking for the problem. Must have been either leaking some voltage or leaking something out of the heater itself.
Old 11/08/2007, 04:42 PM

Do LOTS of W/C and run carbon.

Vacuum the sump and make sure all the broken glass have been siphoned OUT.

It might be a good idea to invest on a GFCI (if you don't already own one..)