Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/07/2007, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

Thinking about a SeaHorse tank

My roommate really likes Sea Horses and doesn't quite understand that they will have a very difficult time in a reef tank.
I like pipefish & sea grasses so I'm considering setting up a dedicated seahorse/pipefish and seagrass tank.

Would an Aquapod work? What size?
What type of filters?
Ideal temperature range?
What lighting is required?

Thanks

Last edited by reef_doug; 11/07/2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11/07/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

It would be a good idea to visit both the seahorse forum here as well as seahorse.org.

I have a pair of erectus in a 24 gallon nanocube. If I had to do it again I would not go with a cube, and may soon be moving them into a 30 Tall. The height of a nanocube/aquapod is at the bare minimum, something closer to 20-24" high would be better. Not only that cubes run hot and a chiller is a must.

Most any filtration would be fine, you do not want the same amount of flow you would in a reef however. They are not great swimmers and are messy.

I keep my tank at 74f, which is at the upper range many recommend for tropical horses. Some require even lower.

There are no special lighting requirements, normal flourescents would be fine even. Metal halides might even be a bad thing, especially concerning heat. OC or T-5 would be ideal if you want to keep some zoas, shrooms or softies with them. Sense most corals you might want that need higher light are not good with horses it really makes no sense to spend the money there.
Old 11/07/2007, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

For a sea horse tank i'd stay away from the aquapods or nanocubes.
since you'll be feeding them often and seahorses are going to need the food in the water column for a while mysis or other food will get sucked up into the back before the pipefish or seahorses get to it.

a stock 20 or 29gal w/a hang on skimmer would probably work best.
as for lighting, you can easily just use pc's or a couple vho's.
i think they like lower temp...but i'm not completely sure at the moment.
Old 11/07/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Be aware that some will argue against skimmers, as the possibility of bubbles can cause serious problems for seahorses. Again, seahorse.org for research prior to purchase, they're sensitive little creatures.
Old 11/07/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

on the contrary i think an aquapod would work just fine for seahorses. the flow into the back is very weak, and no tank can exist with 0 circulation.
Old 11/07/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

im going to tag along on this thread because i thought about turning in my 12g nanocube into a seahorse tank, I have no idea about them thats why i will be tagging along and from what i hear already its a bad idea cause its only about 16 inches tall.... flow is minimal and it has already been up and running for 6+ months.
Old 11/07/2007, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

I've had a 24 nanocube before and always had trouble with the heat. I don't think a nanocube would be ideal.
Old 11/07/2007, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

I will probably cancel the idea due to a chiller requirement for the summer. I need to get a chiller for my 180g first!

Oh well, thanks for all the replies.
Old 11/07/2007, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Take a look at the rimless tank thread started by fishbiz. I think that tank is ideal for a seahorse tank.
Old 11/07/2007, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

it is a good idea to breed molly frey in a seperate brackish tank. molly frey are great food for seahorses
Old 11/08/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

a nano cube should work...24 gallons...if you have a problem with heat...cut a hole in the back of the hood...a taller tank would be ideal though i find that sea horse prefer to swim more up and down that vertically
Old 11/08/2007, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

Seahorse need at least 30g for a pair. I have a 40 gallon long with 2 pair. they are happy. But I wouldn't go with anything smaller. I use a Prizm Skimmer (WORKS GREAT) I have a cheap Canister filter running carbon. Temp stays down 71-72, with no chiller but do have a in window a/c unit and my room stays at 70. Lights are use are T5's. Here is a current pic.

Old 11/08/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

An no the clowns do not bother them. They get along great so far. But Clowns are Hit & Miss. I keep a close eye on them. And so far they are doing good together.
Old 11/08/2007, 01:19 AM
Crazy Aquarist

The main reason for not going with nano cube is that they are way to short. I remember over in seahorse.org they recommend 3 to 4 times the hieght of the seahorse when their tail is unrolled. The reason for this is for their courtship dance.

Im planning to setup a dwarf seahorse tank after my tiny angler has grown to target feeding size.

Believe in what you know and stand by it.
Old 11/08/2007, 02:37 AM
Registered Member

Dwarf's can go in a Nano. I belive you can keep a few pair in as little as a 3-5gallon tank. But they must be feed Live Baby Brine Shrimp at least 2-3 times a day. Can learn alot for seahorse.org. Spend a few hour their. And then go back and spend a few more. Very helpful people and very nice. Also there are a few seahorse breeders. That is where I got mine. From Maryland. My horses are healthy and eatting Frozen Mysis like freaken pigs!

Seahorses Need a dedicated tank. And alot of care. But they are very rewarding animals to keep.
Old 11/08/2007, 03:32 AM
Registered Member

hmm so dwarf sea horses can live in a 12 gallon i guess is what your saying, ill have to check them out on Seahorse.org Only problem is i have trouble keeping the temps down to 77 area i dont think they would survive without a chiller. Hmm maybe a future buy.
Old 11/08/2007, 04:17 AM
Crazy Aquarist

reef_doug,

Sorry I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread in any ways. What I recommand you do is find out what sp of seahorse you wish to keep. your questions will be answered as to temp(most case they are all tropical except for 1 sp that is open water/cool water sp).

Protein skimmer is perfectly fine as long as you plan it out well to that no micro bubbles get into the display tank.

Almost any filter system will work unless you get dwarves that might fit or get stuck into grid/suck over into the overflow.

Lighting should be as low as you can. if you get seagrass enough to keep them. If light is too high algea can grow on the seahorse (at less I read that somewhere). Since seahorse don't like a lot of flow, too much light will lead to red slime and other algea bloom.

keeping the temp down is not a problem if you don't keep lights close to the water and use a fan.

I think for dwarf they recommand 1.5gal per pair so when you feed them the food density is high = water getting dirty really fast.

Believe in what you know and stand by it.
Old 11/08/2007, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

It sounds like a tall corner tank would work.

How many could I keep in one 30g? I would also want a couple pipefish.

Anyone have success with just feeding frozen mysis and the exisiting pods?
Old 11/08/2007, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Could keep A pair of Erectus, Kuda's, or Reidi. Make sure they are Captive breed. I don't believe anyone is CB Kuda's. Only Erectus & Reidi. Before you get them, Make sure they are eatting frozen Mysis. Mine all eat frozen.

It wouldn't be a good idea to mix Seahorse with Pipe's. Since pipe fish are usally wild caught. You risk getting the seahorses sick.

You will spend alot more for the CB seahorse then the WC seahorse. But it is totally worth it. Anyone that has had WC seahorse will tell you. They are alot more work and do not live as long as CB.

If you are seriously concidering seahorse. I would spend alot of time on Seahorse.org.
HTH
Old 11/08/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

If anyone is interested, I have a 30 gal tall glass tank and stand that I will sell cheap.
The footprint is 24" x 12" and it is 25" tall.

Tank and stand $30.