Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

temporary sump plumbing

I need to alter the baffles of this sump in order to fit a larger skimmer. In the meantime, I plan to use a 10gal tank for 24-48hrs while the silicon dries. Would plumbing the return pump intake up and over as shown in this pic cause any problems?
Old 11/05/2007, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

I don't see an issue with that.
Old 11/05/2007, 12:01 PM
Nothing to put here

You will need to have a way to prime the pump. At the top of that upside-down U, you need to add a T with a ball valve. You can open the valve and fill the plumbing with water, then close the valve and turn the pump on.
Old 11/05/2007, 12:02 PM
Master of Funk

I dont know if the pump will suck water up and over the side. You might have to prime it to get it started.
Old 11/05/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LobsterOfJustice
You will need to have a way to prime the pump. At the top of that upside-down U, you need to add a T with a ball valve. You can open the valve and fill the plumbing with water, then close the valve and turn the pump on.
If I turned the pump on and shot a powerhead into the intake, would that work?
Old 11/05/2007, 12:29 PM
Master of Funk

I dont think that would be a solid enough column of water to prime the pump, but you could try it. Running the pump dry is a bad thing, dont do it for very long.
Old 11/05/2007, 12:44 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

I doubt the powerhead will help prime it. Been there and it didnt work to well. LobsterOfJustice explained it perfectly, thats how it worked for me. Other than that it will be fine while the other sump is getting a makeover.
Old 11/05/2007, 12:48 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

You are going to have to set up the pipes like this

The T with the cap on it is how you prime the pipes full of water. Now, I have always used a check valve (( you can sort of see it, on the right side of the pipes, at the water line )) to help hold the water in the pipes when you prime it. (( this is the only time I count on a check valve ))
Two of my three sumps are set up this way, works like a charm.

Edit --

Here is an older picture of the whole set up to give you an idea.

Old 11/05/2007, 12:55 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Nice, pictures speak a 1,000 words.
Old 11/05/2007, 12:59 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Thanks,

And I think Lobsters idea/comment about using a ball valve is a better idea compared to a check valve -- wish I would have thought about that 4 years ago.
Old 11/05/2007, 01:47 PM
Nothing to put here

Yeah, the pump will hold the prime (even if unplugged) as long as the tee is closed (either with a ball valve as I said or some type of cap) and the intake is submerged.
Old 11/05/2007, 01:57 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Quote:
Yeah, the pump will hold the prime (even if unplugged) as long as the tee is closed (either with a ball valve as I said or some type of cap) and the intake is submerged.
Exactly, I have had my pump off for over 4 hours on a couple of occasions and the prime held with out an issue.
Old 11/05/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the info/pix. I'm always looking for an excuse to get new stuff and I may just get a larger sump. I may get a 40long, drill it, baffle it and then do a quick swap w/ no downtime.
Old 11/05/2007, 02:03 PM
Nothing to put here

FWIW, Ive run my tank sumpless for days multiple times. Just move the heaters up to the display and keep your powerheads running. Replumbing this temporary solution might be more trouble than its worth.
Old 11/05/2007, 02:07 PM
stop the insults, please

I've run a pump like this long term with no issues. I didn't do any weird plumbing, just shot a powerhead down the intake (you need to cup your hand over the outlet to make sure it fills). Never had it lose prime. Not once over a couple years.