Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

PVC joint leak repair question

For two years I/ve had two slight leaks in the glued slip joints of a PVC manifold that are so minor that there are salt deposits, but no water dripping.

The tank is being moved, but I do not want to re build the manifold. I'm all thumbs, and nothing I build ever fits right.

If I get the parts clean and dry inside and out, clean them with PVC cleaner, then put a bit of glue in the seam, will it seal it up? What about putting a wide bead if silicone around the whole joint? Duct tape is out of the question.

Can a tiny leak be fixed?
Old 11/01/2007, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

I haven't tried it but I was told you could apply a vacuum to the line from the inside and drip some pvc glue on the leaking area. Hopefully it'll pull the glue in and seal the leak.
Old 11/01/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

I tried silicone and it didn't work for me. I just dried the area around the joint completely, and used PVC cement.

No clue how long term this is, I've been leak free for 3 months on the spot I fixed. I wasn't really concerned w/ a long term fix as I knew I would be moving the tank in the near future and re-doing all of the piping with spa flex.
Old 11/01/2007, 11:50 AM
Reef Crazy

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&highlight=pvc

Exactly what you are looking for. This is what I did and it worked great for me.

Dan