Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Asterina Anomala starfish - remove from tank?

I found about 6 of these tiny guys on my glass. Should I remove them? I read on Google they might eat on my coral?

Old 10/29/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Their fine, unless you find them reaching plague proportions. They "may" munch on corraline algae...but dont worry...it always comes back.

Best wishes,

Prayer is Protein Skimming for the Soul
Old 10/29/2007, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Piper, I just put LR into my tank this weekend and woke up to your picture on my glass. Everything I read says they "might eat your corals", they "might be beneficial", they "might become a nuisance". IMO, not worth the risk. I'm pulling it out when I get home this evening!
Old 10/29/2007, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

I believe there are a couple species that look similar. Some eat corals, and some don't. I've got some in my tank and have never had a problem with them. If you found one of them, there are probably more. I would let them be until you find evidence of them coral munching.
Old 10/29/2007, 01:51 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

99% of these are fine. Don't worry about these, they are harmless. You're more likely to get a polyp eating tang.
Old 10/29/2007, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FleeVT
Piper, I just put LR into my tank this weekend and woke up to your picture on my glass. Everything I read says they "might eat your corals", they "might be beneficial", they "might become a nuisance". IMO, not worth the risk. I'm pulling it out when I get home this evening!

Yeah, I ended up doing the same. I pulled about 5 of them out, and see two more near the bottom that I can get later. They look cool, but I am not going to take the chance. I can find other things to 'clean up my tank' that don't risk eating my coral, or turning into 'plague proportions'.
Old 10/29/2007, 04:01 PM
RC Mod

If they're moving around the walls, I'd guess they're algae eaters, and good to have. Some vendors sell them with their refugium kits. If they grow to "plague proportions", that means the tank has an alga problem.
Old 10/29/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

lol if you have a reef tank and they reach plague proportions, get a coral banded shrimp. i had one in my 2.5 nano and he ate about 12 of them in one night. especially the ones who didnt have all their legs!
Old 10/29/2007, 05:53 PM
Tony Montanas electrician

Send me one
Old 10/29/2007, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

Most of them are algae eaters and won't bother your corals. But do remove them when you have an opportunity (they're easily accessible or on the glass, etc) as they can multiply faster than rabbits! LOL
Old 11/16/2007, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

I'm starting to think that both species of these starfish eat coral, here is why... I've had my tank up for almost a year and the Asterina in my tank never bothered any of my coral. Normally they would be seen feeding on the coralline algea on my rocks or glass--which I don't mind because it grows back quick. However, recently (past month) I noticed the numbers of these stars sky rocket. Literally there is about 4 starfish per square inch on my rocks. So, I noticed one of my corals polyp tissue receding from random base branches and I noticed that there were a few of these star fish feeding on it. I have been picking them off this coral as I see them but, the population is so out of control.

Moral of the story is, I beleive that these star fish can and will feed on anything with a calcium skeleton including your SPS. However, I beleive that they prefer corralline algea over SPS. They probably won't start feeding on your SPS until their population reaches a certain limit (probably dependant on how much corralline algea your tank can readily produce for them). My advice is take them out as you see them or introduce a natural predator so you can to keep there numbers in check. I guess it's common sense, whenever you don't have a balanced ecosystem bad things happen, i.e. rabbits introduced to Australia.

Currently I am looking for a list of natural predators for these star fish, so far I have:

Harlequin Shrimp
Nardoa sea star
Coral Banded Shrimp

Anymore?
Calcium-435 (pinpoint)
Ammonia-.0 (AP)
Nitrite-0 (AP)
Nitrate-<5 (AP)
PO4-0
I-.04
Silica-<1
Alk-4 meq/L
Mg-1440
Old 11/16/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

anyone who doesnt want those can send em to me...ill pay you for the shipping charges
Old 11/16/2007, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

From the research I have done, there are 101 different species of asterina starfish. 1 eats SPS polyps, 1 eats coralline, and the other 99 are harmless and actually eat algae and detritus. I got a hold of the coralline eaters, and in reference to a statement earlier, the coralline has no chance to grow back because they can wipe a tank in a few nights. So most species will do you good, two will hurt you, do you want to take the chance?
Old 11/17/2007, 02:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stealthbimmer
anyone who doesnt want those can send em to me...ill pay you for the shipping charges
Really? PM me your mailing address, you can send me the shiping charges to paypal, em805@juno.com. I will work on collecting as many as I can tomorrow. Just don't blame me if they start eating your SPS...
Calcium-435 (pinpoint)
Ammonia-.0 (AP)
Nitrite-0 (AP)
Nitrate-<5 (AP)
PO4-0
I-.04
Silica-<1
Alk-4 meq/L
Mg-1440
Old 11/17/2007, 03:42 AM
Registered Member

I had a bunch of those in my tank and had to pull them out, they destroyed the majority of my GSP.